Diagnosing Bad PSU

Uplash89

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
I have been having random lock ups during game play for about 3 months, which a hard reboot fixes. Typically, it happens about twice a week on about 30 -40 hours of game play. I upgraded my gpu today and it wouldn't start back up (went from 560 ti to 1060, which is less draw). The PS fan would start to spin then stop and one case fan would spin and stop, briefly. When it was freezing all temps were normal and nothing seemed a miss. Did the normal checks, disconnect gpu, visual of MB, ram (one at time), ect. Got to the point i was sure it was the PSU and replaced it and it booted right away. Haven't had a chance to tinker with with and am one not to mess with something that works, but could a bad PSU just stop working like this? Seems like an MB issue, more than anything. Any suggestions?

Solution
Yes a bad or low quality PSU could cause these issues. What is the make and model PSU you have? A bad PSU is more likely then a motherboard issue but it is not 100%. LMK you PSU make and model.

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Power supplies can BLOW up. Capacitors go bad, fans in power supplies go bad and then heat can become an issues. There's a good bit going on in power supplies so there's lots that can go wrong.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
yeah you have a tier 3 PSU I would replace it with a tier 1 (if you are willing to replace it every 5 years) or tier 2 (if willing to replace it every 3 years). regardless a tier 3 is not a PSU i suggest running long term like you have, in fact i would not run one at all.