Question Diagnostic help? ---------

Jul 4, 2024
[Moderator note: Edited to remove financial award offer within title.]

@Sofka - no need for such offers.

I just recently moved and in the two and a half month interim between me packing and unpacking my computer it now no longer boots. When I attempt to turn the computer on it flashes red then yellow then red then yellow then a two or three second pause then white on the debug LEDs.
I have tried reseating each stick individually in the second slot. And reseating the GPU, any ideas?
It boot loops, the MSI tomahawk logo comes on with the circle spinning loading throbber, then it will power down and back up again without any input. I am only able to get into bios when I have to setup the ram when I insert one of my 4 stick in. I have tried holding del, f12, f10 to get into bios but no luck.
My system build is as follows.
CPU:
Intel Core i7-13700KF 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
Motherboard:
MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory:
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage:
Seagate Barracuda Compute 8 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue SA510 1 TB M.2-2280 SATA Solid State Drive
Video Card:
Zotac GAMING Trinity OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB
Case:
Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini ATX Mid Tower Case w/750 W Power Supply
Power Supply:
Lian Li SP 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
Where was the computer stored?

= = = =

Try booting into Safe Mode.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Try installing a new CMOS battery per the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Also noted that you removed RAM. Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM be placed in a specific slot: likely being DIMMA2. Check the User Guide/Manual.

Jul 4, 2024

= = = =

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Also noted that you removed RAM. Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM be placed in a specific slot: likely being DIMMA2. Check the User Guide/Manual.
It was stored in a dry cool place in the original box for the case, I removed the graphics card and stored it in the same place, I cleaned it with air yesterday, the ram was inserted into the correct spot (dim 2). I have check the cables but I will recheck. Thank you for taking the time!

Jul 4, 2024

= = = =

After changing the ram stick once more and changing the cmos battery it now boots into a bsod, stop code:UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Should I attempt to get a buddy to make a recovery flashdrive?

Ralston18

Titan
Storage:

Which drive is the boot drive?

I would expect the SSD but no harm in verifying.

Also remember to try booting into safe mode.

And a recovery flashdrive is indeed an option.

The overall concern being to prevent any data loss. Is all important data backed up someplace else away from the computer in question?

Jul 4, 2024
Storage:

The overall concern being to prevent any data loss. Is all important data backed up someplace else away from the computer in question?
It's been a year or so since I last backed it up but nothing vital, just some essays for school and games. Yes, the SSD is the boot drive. I'll try safe mode now, I have a buddy making a recovery flash right now and should have it in half an hour or so.

Jul 4, 2024
Storage:

I am unsure how to boot into safe mode it seems, I know it is supposed to be either f4, f5 for networking, and or f8 but none of those boot into anything, just keeps looping into the bsod stop code:UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Jul 4, 2024
Update, got the recovery thumb drive, go into bios, change the boot device to the thumb drive, and it never loads, just sits and thinks with the motherboard throbber just spinning away :(

MWink64

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
Update, got the recovery thumb drive, go into bios, change the boot device to the thumb drive, and it never loads, just sits and thinks with the motherboard throbber just spinning away :(

Are you sure you picked the right boot device? You may have to select the (FAT) UEFI volume on the thumb drive, rather than the thumb drive itself.

The SA510 is a problematic model with a very high failure rate.

This is my thought as well. I'd check the drive's SMART report and perform some diagnostics.

Jul 4, 2024
Update, tried another boot fla
Are you sure you picked the right boot device? You may have to select the (FAT) UEFI volume on the thumb drive, rather than the thumb drive itself.

This is my thought as well. I'd check the drive's SMART report and perform some diagnostics.
I have tried both, when it does go past the loading screen it prompts me to select os, 32 or 64, I hit f8 for advanced options for the 64 and it says due to hardware or software errors can't launch into windows. Can't go into windows repair/install. Flashing a new bios now.

Jul 4, 2024
Update, tried another boot fla

I have tried both, when it does go past the loading screen it prompts me to select os, 32 or 64, I hit f8 for advanced options for the 64 and it says due to hardware or software errors can't launch into windows. Can't go into windows repair/install. Flashing a new bios now.
New bios changed nothing but hey, I'm up to date now ^°^

Jul 4, 2024
I took out my m.2 and put in an old SSD I had, the boot flashdrive launched right into the purple screen windows install. Very weird. I wonder if there is any way I can repair the m.2 so I can save my stuff :(

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
I took out my m.2 and put in an old SSD I had, the boot flashdrive launched right into the purple screen windows install. Very weird. I wonder if there is any way I can repair the m.2 so I can save my stuff :(
See if you can access it as a 'slave drive'. If you can, you can then move the data to the other drive you wish to save.

Jul 4, 2024
See if you can access it as a 'slave drive'. If you can, you can then move the data to the other drive you wish to save.
Also I was able to boot while it was plugged in, not boot from the m.2, I can't access any of the files or do anything to it. It also makes my computer freak out and do things that I don't understand.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Also I was able to boot while it was plugged in, not boot from the m.2, I can't access any of the files or do anything to it. It also makes my computer freak out and do things that I don't understand.
Then you will need a service like Drivesavers to get the data, if it's accessible at all.

Costly, but if you value said data, might be worth it.

TRENDING THREADS