Diamond Announces USB to Display Adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
If power consumption is the only consideration then that would suffice but I suspect performance is more important for most people. I'm waiting for USB 3 devices.

clifftam

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
To be honest, this ain't a big selling feature. If I need to plug my computer to another monitor or projector, there's usually another power outlet available for my laptop (as there's a power outlet for the projector or monitor or tv). I won't be running off my battery for this.

What's more useful for this adapter is for multi monitor setup with more than dual monitors.

InvalidError

Titan

Performance for what?

USB-to-HDMI/DVI/DP adapters are not intended to replace PCIe-based GPUs for panoramic gaming. People who need to look into USB video adapters usually need them mostly for 2D such as extra text or otherwise mostly static data/graphics displays. For those applications, USB2 is usually more than adequate.

With 2.5W maximum power on USB2, it isn't really possible to do more than a dumb frame buffer. Even with USB3's high-power profile, you still have less than 5W which still does not allow much of a GPU so USB3 models would most likely be dumb buffers as well.

If you want a "performance" USB-based display adapter (something with a real GPU), you would need something with its own power brick and that usually is a no-no for most people on-the-go - the fewer power bricks, the better.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Exactly, and most external displays already require one. I just thought it was funny that how their marketing was promoting the "power consumption" aspect and obviously ignoring the performance limits. USB 3 will definitely allow for better performance by increasing bandwidth and the GPU/wattage issue is a simple technical problem that is being solved by advancements in mobile tech.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

Actually 5w is enough to power the GPU in a current iPad or SGS3, while not a serious game chip (for pc standards,) its way better than what USB2's bandwidth can support. Having tried multiple USB to video adapters over the years, I can attest that the USB 3 variants are much better than the USB2 ones. The usb2 adapters usually have tearing when video is being played or when you are dragging objects around. Even though this has DVI and/or HDMI, their max resolution is 2048x1152 which is lower than the lowest standard for either of those connection types. (2560x1600 for dvi and 1920x1200 for hdmi 1.0 or 3840x2160 in 1.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.