DICE: Some Frostbite Games Will Require a 64-bit OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurbox

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
to each their own on which OS to switch to i guess.

however, 64bit is a must for most gamers anyways. even though most games aren't written in 64bit it's definitely better to have a 64 bit OS just so it can have allocate more ram and have enough ram for the OS and the game rather than swapping from a pagefile.

dafin0

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
And lets see if this story turns into a windows 8 hate story... it really doesnt mater if its win 7 or 8 as they will both play games almost 100% the same. and from what iv heard win 8 gets ever so slightly better frames in games.

G

*adds more emphasis to the sarcasm*

Heaven forbid we have to start phasing out consumer 32-bit o/s'. Its only 2012 after all

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
"Great opportunity to upgrade to windows 8" Now why would any one in their right state of mined upgrade to windows 8 just to play games, when windows 7 x64 is far superior.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
"Great opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8" Now why would any one in their right state of mind upgrade to windows just to play game when Win7 x64 is far superior.

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]"Great opportunity to upgrade to windows 8" Now why would any one in their right state of mined upgrade to windows 8 just to play games, when windows 7 x64 is far superior.[/citation]

Thats a lie, win8 has better performance in games due to being less resource intensive

CDdude55

Distinguished
Good news, about time we see some devs push in the right direction. Besides legacy software compatibility there is no real reason for someone to stick with 32-bit.

Though i think most people who use 32-bit OS's are just people who don't really understand or care about what any of it means, they'll continue running there 32-bit copy of XP as long as it opens of Microsoft Word. There is no real incentive for most people to move up to a 64-bit OS, hence i think that 32-bit OS's will still be large use into the future.

It is up to Microsoft and other software devs to push foward and start creating more 64-bit orented software.

[citation][nom]obsama1[/nom]Processors have been 64bit since 2006. Only thing holding us back are the people using XP (That's me, LOL).[/citation]

I think you're a bit off as to the year - consumer-level 64-bit processors have been available since 2003 (look up the Athlon 64). Win XP x64 came out in 2005.

[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]"Great opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8" Now why would any one in their right state of mind upgrade to windows just to play game when Win7 x64 is far superior.[/citation]

you really know nothing about windows 8 do you kid?

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]CDdude55[/nom]Good news, about time we see some devs push in the right direction. Besides legacy software compatibility there is no real reason for someone to stick with 32-bit.Though i think most people who use 32-bit OS's are just people who don't really understand or care about what any of it means, they'll continue running there 32-bit copy of XP as long as it opens of Microsoft Word. There is no real incentive for most people to move up to a 64-bit OS, hence i think that 32-bit OS's will still be large use into the future.It is up to Microsoft and other software devs to push foward and start creating more 64-bit orented software.[/citation]They're not "pushing" in that sense. They're warning people that some of their most demanding titles starting sometime in 2013 will require more memory (including VRAM) than a 32-bit version of Windows can address and/or allow a single program to use. So I don't know that they need to forcibly create more "64-bit oriented software". A lot of programs have two versions, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit, where there's a benefit. Sometimes there's no benefit, and they only make a 32-bit version, that still works fine in 64-bit Windows. Generally speaking there's no reason to completely drop support for the 32-bit version until you hit memory limitations. That's why it has taken so long, and I'm fine with that.

On the other hand, I agree that there is almost no reason for regular end-users to run 32-bit anymore. Although... chances are if you're still running a 32-bit OS in 2013, your machine is ancient and won't run these games anyway. So it's really a non-issue. :D

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
It's pretty retarded that this guy (who, as an artist pretty far down the totem pole, is absolutely unqualified to be making press releases) says that the games will require 64-bit operating systems instead of just stating that their games will require loading X amount of assets into RAM.

As a general rule, 64-bit operating systems (and corresponding hardware) make access to more than 4GB of RAM easier - they are not, however, required. Doesn't anyone remember protected mode? LOADHI, farptr, and PAE are inconvenient, but workable.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Bravo for DICE stepping up to push users to 64 bit. There are so many possibilities for advancement that come along with it other than just your system supporting more RAM. If only more and more software developers took such a strong position and gave users an ultimatum far enough in the future to avoid it. Microsoft swore they were going to stop selling 32 bit OSes for awhile now and given Vista's blunder it set everything back, hopefully Windows 8 doesn't do the same but if you go Windows 7 there really is no reason not to go 64 bit.

Wave Fusion

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Woohoo! The next domino has fallen toward 64-bit!
Absolute 64-bit saturation means better utilization and development for the additional resources, helping make applications better.

Rejoice!

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
It is about time that games start making the move to 64-bit. That's one of two ridiculous things I'm glad to see come to an end. The other ridiculous thing is single-threaded games. It's nice to see DICE helping to push gaming technology forward finally. They're likely just making this announcement because of timing with the next generation of consoles. Still, it's nice to see that in the future the hardware I have will actually start to get utilized. I've had 64-bit and over 4GB of RAM for years now with very few PC games taking advantage of that tech.

Given the ridiculous laundry list of screw ups with Battlefail 3, it's unfortunate that I will no longer purchase any game with DICE's name on it. My favorite recent failures have been the rush to add Alien FX while ignoring bugged weapons and the double-XP weekend they botched and only fixed for consoles. What a ridiculous train wreck that game has turned into.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]sirencall[/nom]Thats a lie, win8 has better performance in games due to being less resource intensive[/citation]

Agreed, especially for Bulldozer and Piledriver. All that's missing is Windows 7's or Windows Classic's UI. Hopefully someone will create a 3rd-party mod for that.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]zachusaman[/nom]I wonder if EA will even make it to 2013 given how poorly they are doing[/citation]

Poorly? My a$$. They're butchering franchise after franchise and profiting from it. They're doing great.

Status
Not open for further replies.