DICE: There's a Misunderstanding With The Term "Beta"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
well i'm very aware of that. noobs don't, especially call of duty players or casual players. they never really experience BETAs. One reason why CoD games don't get affected by sales. however games that offer BETA, usually the 1st impression is something you really have to take a risk with. that is why i prefer close BETA AND NOT OPEN BETA.

on the battlefield 3 forums UK and US and battlelog its total ape shit. even from vets. noob is what is ruin BF3 for them. due to "lowering the threshold". which i have no issue with as long its FUN experience for me.

Anyways, this game is definitely a buy from me along with Skyrim and perhaps RAGE:)

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I'd find that easier to believe if some of their previous releases were still riddled with the same bugs that showed up on day one.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]well i'm very aware of that. noobs don't, especially call of duty players or casual players. they never really experience BETAs. One reason why CoD games don't get affected by sales. however games that offer BETA, usually the 1st impression is something you really have to take a risk with. that is why i prefer close BETA AND NOT OPEN BETA.on the battlefield 3 forums UK and US and battlelog its total ape shit. even from vets. noob is what is ruin BF3 for them. due to "lowering the threshold". which i have no issue with as long its FUN experience for me. Anyways, this game is definitely a buy from me along with Skyrim and perhaps RAGE[/citation]
Take a look on metacritic user score for Rage. I'll buy or preorder BF3 for sure ! :)

n8dogg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Give me a break Dice, you're going to give us a buggy pile of BF3 and you know it. There are sooo many bugs in the beta, there is no way you are going to fix them all by launch. get you heads out of your asses.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]n8dogg[/nom]Give me a break Dice, you're going to give us a buggy pile of BF3 and you know it. There are sooo many bugs in the beta, there is no way you are going to fix them all by launch. get you heads out of your asses.[/citation]

ah but the beta build of the game is 6 weeks old. the bugs experience right now are already cleared up. what they basically testing is balance and rank up progression along with server load.

G

My complaints about BF3 so far aren't bug related. Therefore they won't be fixed.
My complaints are stuff like, in game option changing cannot be done until you've spawned.
Stuff like that.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Tried out the 64 player Caspian Border conquest map earlier today. I just couldn't believe they finally made it open play for the beta!

Unfortunately the two servers I tried were having significant problems keeping up. The chat was flooded with "LAG" and similar comments. It was unplayable for me. I would've tried other servers, but by the time I got out of the second I was already pretty dizzy, had to stop.

O well, probably try again tomorrow. Anyone else experience similar issues? Or was this an isolated problem?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]siuol11[/nom]I'd find that easier to believe if some of their previous releases were still riddled with the same bugs that showed up on day one.[/citation]
Ya, it took them a LONG time to work out some of the bigger stability bugs in BF2. But even to this day some problems haven't been patched.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]shade47[/nom]My complaints about BF3 so far aren't bug related. Therefore they won't be fixed.My complaints are stuff like, in game option changing cannot be done until you've spawned.Stuff like that.[/citation]
Ya, wtf's up with that? You can only change game options when you're already in a game, and have spawned... that doesn't seem very intuitive or user friendly to me. Hopefully this is only the case in the beta.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]well i'm very aware of that. noobs don't, especially call of duty players or casual players. they never really experience BETAs. One reason why CoD games don't get affected by sales.[/citation]
Dunno if you experienced Black Ops on PC or not. But the full-fledged release was pretty much a beta.
Never really became stable on PC until after the first DLC (which I had already stopped playing by then, BFBC2 Vietnam called).

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]shade47[/nom]My complaints about BF3 so far aren't bug related. Therefore they won't be fixed.My complaints are stuff like, in game option changing cannot be done until you've spawned.Stuff like that.[/citation]
If you cared enough to read developer blogs you would know that's a bug which is fixed for final release.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
You would think these studious would have at least a dozen or more computers of different configurations to test their stuff in house first.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
the bug that i cant stand is that the game crashes when i try to fullscreen, and none of the options, no mater how i change them, seam to do anything.

this is on little brothers computer.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I don't think the problem is people not understand it's a beta, at least PC people. But still, you'd think it would be a lot more polished a month before release. I've heard people say this is really an unpolished early beta and that its current state is much better, but still, it's representative of their product. A lot of the bugs I've been experiencing should've been gone before the game even became beta. I just better not still getting random crashes and falling through maps in the release version. My brother can't even get it working on his system, and it's better than mine.

And I agree with other people who simply know better from DICE. I remember they couldn't even make a workable server browser for BF2 and patches seemed to cause more harm than good. Which reminds me. I hope AA turrets aren't worthless deathtraps in this. As long as the game is still fun and doesn't crash all the time like the beta has, then I can live with it.

toxin440

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]You would think these studious would have at least a dozen or more computers of different configurations to test their stuff in house first.[/citation]

You really think a dozen computers would be enough? No, even if they had 500 computers to test on all with different configs, its impossible. There is such a huge possible combination of hardware, software, drivers, you can only do so much.

I experienced all the problems others are having, buggy areas, crazy stuff happening. What I don't understand is why people are complaining about something they haven't paid for yet? It's a free open beta, don't like the bugs? Go pay Farmville or something.

People forget this beta wasn't for you at all.... it's to test the back end so that on launch day we all arent sitting around pissed off. Be patient - when it comes out and is just as buggy, then and only then do you have a legitimate right to complain.

I swear - it seems complaining is all people are good at these days. It's free, and 100% your choice to play yet you still act as if they owe you something. I will be glad when this entitled sense of being blows over in 20 or 30 years hopefully.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I am wondering how many of those commented have actually played the game or even seen "live footages" of the game...
I understand that it is a beta, but, really? The amount of bugs is too large to be true, the ranking system glitches all the time (it kept saying you are leveling to the same level over and over again, unlocking the "new" attachment of the twentieth time...) I even saw player"s" can glitch through the map and shot me through terrains and player skin turned into a corpse and roam around the map...
What if, just what if, you update the beta once every week? heck, make it two weeks? even little patches SUCH AS THE FREAKING LATENCY ISSUES! and crashing to desktop all the times? You are going to release the retail version soon anyway, might as well, put up the little patches that will satisfy the community...

cheemster

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
I praise DICE for doing this, need I remind anybody of the Black Ops launch? Having a beta is a great thing, used to happen ALL the time years ago.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Well it`s just bad business to release such an old build a month before release. Marketing 101 really.

I`ll be cancelling my preorder as it just doesn`t appeal to me anymore. Not just BF3 but FPS`s altogether. Especially with Gears 3, NHL 12, FIFA 12, Batman AC, Assassin`s Creed, Tomb Raider, FORZA 4, LA Noire, RAGE, Skyrim, Dark Souls, and a bunch of other great games to play.

schiwing

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Caspian was fun, and it is what Battlefield was all about.
Too bad though that there was rubber-banding lag every few seconds on most of the Caspian servers to really get any enjoyment out of playing.
I'm more annoyed that they axed community mod support because they say we are "incompetent," when they really meant to say, "We want to release $15 DLC maps, equipment, etc, and could not do so with community mods."

G

I am hoping that since the beta was for the back end then that means the gameplay will be significantly improved in the release. Because really its World of Battlecamp 3: Hide in the bushes and spawn camp! Then level up and get an overpowered weapon and camp twice as easily! Seriously it takes 2 headshots to kill with the beginning sniper rifle but only 1 with the rifle you get later on, wtf is that shit! Or the automatic weapons starting with no scope, then you get the scope and its accurate from across the map. Then you have the engine being terrible for visibility of enemies making it so you literally hide in bushes and shoot people as they spawn and they cant find you before you kill them again as they spawn.

HMRkingpin

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]So.......which one is it ?[/citation]
Even though they did make a battlefield 1942, I believe the title is a typo. Since they quoted the guy saying 1943 , I would assume toms meant to write 1943 in the title, but made a mistake considering 2 is right next to 3. It would be a lot easier to be sure if they didn't make a 1942 or 1943 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.