Question Did anyone test if u can run Windows 7 on newer CPU's ?

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
Hi !
Did anyone test if u can run Windows 7 on newer CPU's ?
I will need a new laptop with an Intel Core i5-8300H Processor or a Intel Core i7-8750H Processor ,
The question is , could i run win 7 on it?

Before you all say win 7 is history , i know that but i need it , i don't like win 10 at all, period.
Now some people say it is not possible and some say it is possible with a few workarounds ...
So i would like to know if somebody tested it yet and if it could work.

I know win will go dead in aprox 2020, so no need to mention it either.

If it could work, could you share the info on how to do it please?

Thx a lot.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not the CPU completely, its the motherboards. I think all new motherboards only have win 10 drivers, and may not have any USB 2 slots making it difficult to install win 7 on them, and even if you got it on, its likely to be a bad experience.

Win 10 end date isn't 2020, it won't be ending then. Good chance it be extended before we reach 2020, as WIn 10, unlike 7, can be completely updated to new version every 6 months so there is no real need to make a new WIndows

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
its not the CPU completely, its the motherboards. I think all new motherboards only have win 10 drivers, and may not have any USB 2 slots making it difficult to install win 7 on them, and even if you got it on, its likely to be a bad experience.

Win 10 end date isn't 2020, it won't be ending then. Good chance it be extended before we reach 2020, as WIn 10, unlike 7, can be completely updated to new version every 6 months so there is no real need to make a new WIndows

That would be the specs but i can not see what mobo it is and i did a lil diging and the cpu is from 2018 q2 ,
if it is indeed the Mobo then there is nothing i can do but order it with win 10 on it and test myself
(maybe try to copy the drivers from win 10 and see if they will work on 7)

Specs & Price :

X•BOOK 17X884
Laptop- 17.3 inch FULL HD (1920 x 1080) mat IPS screen with 144Hz refresh rate
  • Intel Core i5-8300H Processor (4 Cores, 8 Threads, 2.30GHz, max. 4GHz, 45 Watt)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 met 6GB GDDR6
RAM :
RAM 1 : 16GB DDR4 (2400MHz) BTO,
RAM 2 : 16GB DDR4 (2400MHz) BTO,
Storage :
M.2 SSD Slot 1 : 2TB, PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 SSD, Intel 660P, 1800MB/s-1800MB/s
Extra's
WirelessIntel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 9462 (802.11ac 2.4/5GHz, 433Mbps) + Bluetooth 5.0

€1.642,00(Incl. BTW)

Or This Specs & Price :

X•BOOK 17X884
Laptop- 17.3 inch FULL HD (1920 x 1080) mat IPS screen with 144Hz refresh rate
  • Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (6 Cores, 12 Threads, 2.20GHz, max. 4.1GHz, 45 Watt)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 met 6GB GDDR6
RAM :
RAM 1 : 16GB DDR4 (2400MHz) BTO,
RAM 2 : 16GB DDR4 (2400MHz) BTO,
Storage
M.2 SSD Slot 1 : 2TB, PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 SSD, Intel 660P, 1800MB/s-1800MB/s
Extra's
WirelessIntel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 9462 (802.11ac 2.4/5GHz, 433Mbps) + Bluetooth 5.0

€1.792,00(Incl. BTW)

Yes you can run windows 7 no problems,as long as you find drivers as colif already mentioned.
The easiest way is to use imagex to restore the image from any normal windows 7 installation DVD/USB onto a new partition and then add this partition to the boot menu (BCD)
If you want to not have win10 at all then it becomes more complicated but you could still do the same thing by putting the new disk in a different PC and do it there.

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
Yes you can run windows 7 no problems,as long as you find drivers as colif already mentioned.
The easiest way is to use imagex to restore the image from any normal windows 7 installation DVD/USB onto a new partition and then add this partition to the boot menu (BCD)
If you want to not have win10 at all then it becomes more complicated but you could still do the same thing by putting the new disk in a different PC and do it there.

Yes i tought of that but the only problem i have is i do not have a m.2 slot in my desktop pc ...
I'm not sure tough if i can make it a dual boot (win 7 and win 10) if win 10 is installed first ...
My guess would be to make sure win 7 is installed first and then win 10 but i can not do it that way since it will be preinstalled (win 10) from the shop where i buy it from.
Or i could buy it with no OS on it but i'm not sure they will hand over the drivers on a stick :/

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
got some extra specs (in dutch but understandable)

Scherm– 17.3″ mat Full HD IPS-scherm met 144Hz refresh rate (res. 1920×1080)
Processor– 8e generatie Intel® Core™ processor (Intel Coffee Lake)
Werkgeheugen– Maximaal 32GB DDR4 (2x 16GB modules in 2 slots)
Videokaart(en)– NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 met 6GB GDDR6
– Intel® UHD Graphics 630 (standaard aanwezig in processor)
**NVIDIA Optimus zorgt voor energiebesparing, de NVIDIA videokaart wordt namelijk uitsluitend aangesproken wanneer dit voor de gebruikte software noodzakelijk is.
Opslag– 1x 2.5 inch harddisk / SSD (SATA-600) – 9.5mm hoog
– 2x M.2 SSD Slot op moederbord (PCIe Gen3x4)
Aansluitingen– 1 x USB 2.0
– 1 x USB 3.0
– 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A
– 1 x USB 3.0 Gen 1 Type-C
– 1 x DisplayPort 1.3 (gedeeld met USB 3.1 Type-C)
– 1 x Mini Displayport 1.2
– 1 x HDMI™
– 1 x 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Hoofdtelefoon / microfoon, 3.5mm mini-jack)
– 1 x Microfoon ingang (3.5mm mini-jack)
– 1 x RJ-45 LAN 100/1000Mbps
Keyboard en touchpad– Verlicht (15 kleuren) toetsenbord met numeriek gedeelte
– Touchpad met multi-gesture en scrolfunctie
Audio– Hoge kwaliteit speakers
– Realtek HD Audio geluidskaart
– Sound Blaster™ Cinema 5
Overige– Ingebouwde Full HD-webcam
– 6-in-1 card Reader (MMC/RS-MMC/SD/Mini-SD/SDHC/SDXC)
Beveiliging– Kensington® Lock
– TPM 2.0
Afmetingen– 399.9mm (B) x 282.2mm (D) x 29.2mm (H)
Gewicht– 2.5 KG
Batterij– Lithium-Polymeer Batterij (48.96Wh)
Meegeleverde accessoires– 150 watt adapter
– Driver-DVD voor Microsoft Windows

If the laptop vendor does not have Win 7 drivers on their support site, then only way you can find out is by installing Win 7 and seeing what is not working, then manually start looking at the hardware IDs that are not working and searching for drivers for those.

Get the laptop, create a system image for backup if things don't work, see what happens.

If you want to make sure Win 7 works on a system, look for a laptop with Win 7 support, probably a few generations old though. Something with a 6th gen CPU should work. You'll need to decide if your dislike of Win 10 is greater than your need for a newer model CPU or not.

Reactions: IamMike
Yes i tought of that but the only problem i have is i do not have a m.2 slot in my desktop pc ...
I'm not sure tough if i can make it a dual boot (win 7 and win 10) if win 10 is installed first ...
My guess would be to make sure win 7 is installed first and then win 10 but i can not do it that way since it will be preinstalled (win 10) from the shop where i buy it from.
Or i could buy it with no OS on it but i'm not sure they will hand over the drivers on a stick :/
If windows 10 is installed first it's the easiest thing ever,you just shrink the partition windows 10 is on create a new partition and imagex windows 7 on there,easybcd to add win7 and you are done.
The thing is you will pay for win10 without wanting it,on the other hand your copy of win7 might not register on new hardware either...

All the drivers for your machine are going to be on their website,the shop will not have anything more then that anyway,actually they probably don't have anything since all these come ready from the manufacturer.

May 25, 2019
intel could be a problem, but AMD has chipset drivers, and while AMD doesn't officially support win 7 on Ryzen it will work, at least with the non integrated video chips like a 1800x or 2700x (No STR4 threadripper chipsets are supported but AM4 chipsets are) 320 chipset will be easier due to better usb compatibility but up to 450 chipset have driver support.

as a last resort, AMD64 to AMD64 will always boot provided you use the same boot type (Legacy is better than uefi though as uefi can cause issues) In other words you could install on a AM3+ platform then move the drive to the Ryzen machine. (dont load any drivers on the AM3+ system just let windows use generics to get it installed) (I've installed on a 754 and moved the drive to a AM1 Mini itx system using this setup as well) granted this isnt the best solution as a clean install is always best, but generally it will work