[SOLVED] Did Gsync kill my GPU?

sarthak.saswat.das

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
So basically my (now dead) 1050ti started showing signs of dying around 4 months ago. Which is the same time around which I got a Display port cable and turned on Gsync. The issues i had at the start were display going out, crashing into a random colored screen and PC randomly restarting. Is it possible that i started having these issues because of using Gsync? Or could it be that the monitor or the cable was faulty and caused this. I need to know this cause i am paranoid about using the same display port cable for my GTX 1060 which i got a few days back. I have it connected through hdmi right now. What are the chances that this was the cause of the death for my 1050ti? I know this whole scenario was probably just coincidental but just wanted to make sure.

Solution
Power cables are AC. Wires are paired and twisted so that their inductance is canceled out and they generate less of a magnetic field. However, it isn't 100% effective. AC power cables can create significant electrical noise as well.

Similarly in DC data cables, wires are typically paired so that inductance is canceled out as much as possible, though this is to reduce crosstalk, or false signals. Most modern PC cabling is serial based.

Commonly why you see magnets looped around certain types of wiring.

Putting power and data cables directly next to each other can cause induction in nearby wires, which can negatively impact performance. In extreme cases, particularly over long distances, you can actually measure significant voltages...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure anyone can answer that one. The cable could be bad, though bad in such a way that it operates and leads to slow failure, less likely.

G-sync module in the monitor could have a fault, not any way to test that that I am aware of.

Only other thing I could think of is a ground loop. Do you have both the PC and monitor plugged into the same outlet or power strip? If not, consider changing that. Slight differences between ground connections can induce a current. Try to separate your power and data cables whenever possible (this is not really a problem since most wiring is paired to prevent crosstalk)

sarthak.saswat.das

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
Yep both my monitor and PC are connected to the same power source i.e. my UPS. I am not able to follow what separating power and data cable means, please explain. From your answer I understand that it is a possibility that either the monitor or cable caused this failure, but what are the chances that that is the case? If you were in my place and wanted to have Gsync would you risk using display port with Gsync enabled?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Power cables are AC. Wires are paired and twisted so that their inductance is canceled out and they generate less of a magnetic field. However, it isn't 100% effective. AC power cables can create significant electrical noise as well.

Similarly in DC data cables, wires are typically paired so that inductance is canceled out as much as possible, though this is to reduce crosstalk, or false signals. Most modern PC cabling is serial based.

Commonly why you see magnets looped around certain types of wiring.

Putting power and data cables directly next to each other can cause induction in nearby wires, which can negatively impact performance. In extreme cases, particularly over long distances, you can actually measure significant voltages on wires. It is best practice to keep them separated as much as possible. Not going to end the world if they are all cable managed together.

Serial cables, like Display Port and HDMI, tend to self correct by resending the data at the expense of overall bandwidth.

I guess the better question is how much do you enjoy G-Sync? I find no tearing to be nice, though I am not a huge fan of Variable Refresh Rates. Still I pretty much leave G-Sync on myself. Cheapest thing to replace would be the cable, I would probably risk that.

Solution

sarthak.saswat.das

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
As someone who plays most games at 80-120fps i think i kind of need Gsync. Though now that i havent had the experience since the last 3 months or so(I was on IGPU and at 60hz) just using 144hz already feels really good. But like you said I should probably get another cable. And hope the gpu died of some other reason, which is also worrisome for me since i this gets me wondering if the same issue can take down my 1060.