did i break my fan LED?

Lickedeyes

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
trying to install a nzxt 200mm, i was clueless on what to do with the 2 pin that was attached. i browsed installation videos and couldnt find any, looked on forms and couldnt find any also.... so i checked my mobo book and seen an available 2 pin. foolishly i installed and turned on, only to immediately have smoke spewing out of the port. Fortunately my systems up and running, and as is the fan - but as far as the fan led. because of practically frying the cord, is the led on the fan screwed? its literally brand new, lol.
STILL to this moment, i dont know what the hell im supposed to do with the 2 pin that was on the fan or the adapter it was connected to - or even the molex adapter. never have i ran into such a problem

Solution
The 2 pin is for cases that have led switches, making it possible to turn on/off the led, but not touch the fan itself. Most aftermarket fans do not have that option, basically only fans that are stock replacement for a switched case. Normal operation will not include the adapter(s) the fan just hooks up to the mobo header. The reason the wire smoked is that 2 pin carries a hot, and you hooked it up to a hot, and the wire was the weakest point so it burned. Fortunately for you. If the wire had been heavier guage, you'd probably have fried the mobo.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 2 pin is for cases that have led switches, making it possible to turn on/off the led, but not touch the fan itself. Most aftermarket fans do not have that option, basically only fans that are stock replacement for a switched case. Normal operation will not include the adapter(s) the fan just hooks up to the mobo header. The reason the wire smoked is that 2 pin carries a hot, and you hooked it up to a hot, and the wire was the weakest point so it burned. Fortunately for you. If the wire had been heavier guage, you'd probably have fried the mobo.

Solution

Lickedeyes

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
dug far deeper, found a 'led' vs ' non led' video, ironically the guy did exactly what i couldnt figure out. Apparently Fz 200mm fans require the button. it like dangles there, but whatever - it ****ing works!! Even after i seared the heck out of it. how? ill never know...
let there be light!! (its white lol)