Question Did i brick my motherboard?

May 21, 2019
Need some help. So i bought a used laptop, its the hp pavilion g6 2000 series, and i noticed that the main graphics card doesnt work, it has 2 cards, one from intel and the other one from amd. I looked why this could happen and i found that it could be bricked and a bios update could fix it. So i bought a ch341a cable and usb, and tried to install a new bios on the chip, but it seams a installed a wrong one. After i installed the new bios the laprop wont start anymore and the software wont read the bios chip anymore. It did the first time when i instaled the new bios. Did i destroy my whole motherboard or only the bios chip? And can i fix it somehow or do i need to buy a new one? Plzz help

May 21, 2019
When i started the pc the Intel graphics card worked, but the amd one didnt, everytime it changed to the amd card th pc would shut down, so i disbled it in the device manager, but read somewhere that the card could be bricked, because it was used for mining bitcoin. And that it can be fixed by installing a new bios. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTqNP-N38BY I tried this method but it didnt work, it wouldnt run the program in bios, and then i found the method with the ch341a cable and sowtware

May 21, 2019
Yep, its my First time doing this kind of stuff, and probably confused something up. Il try to replace the bios chip and see if the laptop Works again. But thx for the help.

Yep, its my First time doing this kind of stuff, and probably confused something up. Il try to replace the bios chip and see if the laptop Works again. But thx for the help.
You have me a bit confused with that. I am going to try and trim this down a bit to specifics. You said you bought a used HP Laptop and the Graphics don't, meaning Black Screen? HP were notorious for that. I have one in the closet with no graphics. I tried my Monitor and still nothing. That means the GPU has died. You CAN"T replace those as they are built into the Motherboard. All you can do is replace the motherboard.

May 21, 2019
Oh, ok, i misunderstood then something when watching the mining stuff... The laptop shut down and load a blue screen when it switched to the amd gpu, but worked when it ran on the integrated gpu from Intel. The gpu is then probably broken.. Il buy a new motherboard with a working gpu then, seems like the best option. Thx for the help, you cleared some stuff up for me :D

May 21, 2019
The g6 has a integrated graphics card from Intel and a secondary graphics card from amd. 2 ------- gpus?? or am i stupid???

Last edited by a moderator:
never of a laptop with 2 gpus so I'm even more confused
Intel HD graphics as the primary for basic tasks, then a discrete graphics chip for more demanding ones. Switchable graphics are fairly common, used to prolong battery life while still providing some horsepower via the dGPU when needed.

@Wekz - In some cases you can revive a faulty GPU with an alternate video BIOS ("vBIOS"), but without going into details about that, it's fairly rare and depends on the exact failure. It's unlikely you'll be able to revive the AMD GPU. You can try a reflow of the AMD chipset, but if that works it's usually a temporary solution.

May 21, 2019
Intel HD graphics as the primary for basic tasks, then a discrete graphics chip for more demanding ones. Switchable graphics are fairly common, used to prolong battery life while still providing some horsepower via the dGPU when needed.

@Wekz - In some cases you can revive a faulty GPU with an alternate video BIOS ("vBIOS"), but without going into details about that, it's fairly rare and depends on the exact failure. It's unlikely you'll be able to revive the AMD GPU. You can try a reflow of the AMD chipset, but if that works it's usually a temporary solution.
Thx for the advice, il probaly just buy a new motherboard and be done with it.

The story I got was, he bought a second hand laptop that had been used for coin mining and he loaded a bios on it and the board bricked if the gpu was not working how did he load the wrong bios? He saw the video that suggested gpu's dmg'd by coin mining can be fixed by flashing a new bios in and somehow transferred the concept to the laptop and the bios bricked it. When it was initally working perfectly. How can you flash a bios with no display?

Gpu's on laptop mobo's can be replaced by an expert with the appropriate parts and equipment. Ten years ago in 2009.
You have to be very careful in Flashing a BiOS, wrong BiOS and the MOBO will definitely brick. I have given people nightmares talking about my adventures in doing that. The first Time I ever did that, I flashed an Intel BiOS on an eMachines. It was pretty much the same MOBO. It did work, but when it posted, I got TWO slash Screens. First the Intel then the big "e" for eMachines. I eventually put it back to the eMachines BiOS. Te only one I was never successful with was when I tried to flash an Unlocked BiOS on a Gateway. Would never execute.