Did I damage my RAM?

Tomytoby

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
I have a mini-ITX z270m motherboard, and I had wanted to move my stick of RAM to the other slot, so I did so after turning the computer off and waiting a few seconds. However, I did not unplug the power cord or touch grounded metal before removing the RAM. Also, because the motherboard is so narrow, I may have accidentally touched the RAM card onto the metal base of my CPU cooler. After trying to turn the computer on after moving the RAM, it turns on along with my graphics cards light, but my monitor doesn't detect a signal nor do my mouse or keyboard RGB lights turn on.

Any help is appreciated, did I damage my RAM or is something else the problem? Thank you

Tomytoby

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
Also, one other detail is that when I press the power button, the computer runs for about a second, turns off for about another second, then turns back on. It never did this before.

Full specs with part numbers, please, so we can look at the manuals for reference. It sounds like maybe you disturbed a connection somewhere. Make sure everything is plugged in where it should be, including 20 pin mobo power, supplemental mobo power, gpu PCIE cables, adapter cards, etc. Carefully inspect all connections and reseat them. Did you drop a screw in there? It could be shorting something and causing the PSU to shut down due to overload protection. does the mobo have a speaker? Are there any beep codes at boot up?

Tomytoby

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017

Because the PC ran just fine before I tried reseating the RAM, I assumed I damaged it when plugging it in somehow. I have not tried anything to fix it yet because I am not very experienced and did not know what types of things to try anyway.

Tomytoby

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017

Everything is plugged in correctly after checking, and I did not drop anything into the pc. My motherboard is an ASrock Z270M. Everything worked well before I touched the RAM, and the RAM is the only thing I touched.

Tomytoby

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017

unfortunately not, I only have DDR3, but my system uses ddr4