Did I damage the CPU?

justice507

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2014
So I was trying out a mild overclock (Ryzen 2700x with the stock Wraith Prism Cooler) and testing x39 core ratio at max RAM speed, but the system wasnt able to boot up, meaning it cant handle these settings.

While the monitor showed "no signal", I noticed the CPU fans and lights and power still running. Immediately I tried to shut down the CPU by holding down the power button, but it ended up trying to reboot instead. Fans and lights still running. So I quickly switched off the power supply main switch and plug out the power supply cable.

So in these span of events, could I have possibly damaged the CPU? I thought the CPU was able to shut down by itself to protect itself or do we have to do it manually and ....fast enough so it doesnt damage the cpu? I wasted a few good seconds of time there because I thought holding down the power button could shut it down.

I'm not quite sure how it works.

Solution
As suggested try resetting the CMOS and see if that helps-in future try to avoid suddenly killing the power in your system as thats more likely to cause damage than booting with a bad overclock.