Did I fry my processor?

newguy11

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Ok, I've had my current PC for about 6 months now with no problems. I recently decided to get a cooler for my CPU because the stock one was'nt cutting it temperature wise. I don't OC, I just thought running 50c+ plus on idle was way too hot.

I install the new aftermarket HSF just fine. But when I turn on my PC it's stuck in a reboot loop. All the fans, lights, and everything turn on for about 1 second then shut off. 5 seconds later they come back on and abrutely shuts off. Rinse and repeat. I already tried reapplying the thermal grease with the heatsink with no avail.

I really have no idea what happened. I've tried searching multiple websites but I haven't found anything that has helped me. I've tried using a different PSU to see if that was the problem, but that didn't work. I tried taking out the hard drives, DVD drive, and any peripherals to see if those were the problems. Same problem. I tried swapping RAM, but it still wouldn't work. Is there something I could do to see if the motherboard or CPU died?

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
But when I turn on my PC it's stuck in a reboot loop.
Where about in the process of POST does rebooting occur?
Or is the POST screen not even seen at all and the computer just keeps rebooting?

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

post all specs dude.

What heatsink are you using? Is this an AMD processor or Intel? Are you using pushpins or a back plate? Did you use the stock thermal grease on the heatsink or did you buy your own?

newguy11

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
The latter. The post screen doesn't show up because the power is only on for a second before rebooting again.

Intel E7200 @ stock speeds with an AC Freezer 7 Pro (Arctic Silver 5) using a backplate. And I'm using a Gigabyte P45 motherboard.

newguy11

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Ok, I just tried starting up my PC without the CPU. All the lights and fans are staying on without restarting every 5 seconds. I'm guessing that means the CPU is dead?

newguy11

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
hahaha, that's exactly what I did. I can't believe it. I think it's working again. I put the heatsink back on the processor and let it run for a good 5 minutes or so and it sounds like it's working just fine. I'll put the hard drives and all the other goodies back in tomorrow to see if it truly is working again.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
yeah you cant really fry a processor by swapping heatsinks. make sure you connected the HS to the mobo obviously thats a start.