Question Did i mess up windows from switch from INTEL to AMD?

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
Over the holidays I went from an i5 6600 to a Ryzen 7 3700x and got a new MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk to match the chip.

I quite literally swapped out the old for the new and booted up. The system works but it freezes a bunch randomly, under load or not.

After research forums have said "yes you probably should reinstall windows when going from intel to amd" so I did it. After I started the new machine. I still have the freezing issues.

Is there a chance that I have somehow botched my cpu or SOMETHING with booting an intel rated windows to an AMD one?

troubleshooting:
1.half, then full windows reinstall
  1. bios update
  2. amd chipset driver update
  3. memory test (healthy)
  4. drive test (healthy)

Thanks, After talking with a technician we've kind of assumed it could be hardware issue.

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
what are all the parts in the build?
Is win 10 up to date?

even on a swap from same cpu maker to new CPU/MB it helps to clean install. Yes, I know you have, just saying.
parts:
Ryzen 7 3700x
MAG B550 Tomahawk
g.skill f4-2800c17d 16 gb ram
GTX 1070 FTW
750 GOLD EVGA psu
Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo (idle temps between 30-40C and never above 60C on load)
500gb sata 3 ssd
1tb hdd

Windows version: 10.0.19042 Build 19042 (according to msinfo)

USAFRet

Titan
Over the holidays I went from an i5 6600 to a Ryzen 7 3700x and got a new MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk to match the chip.

I quite literally swapped out the old for the new and booted up. The system works but it freezes a bunch randomly, under load or not.

After research forums have said "yes you probably should reinstall windows when going from intel to amd" so I did it. After I started the new machine. I still have the freezing issues.

Is there a chance that I have somehow botched my cpu or SOMETHING with booting an intel rated windows to an AMD one?

troubleshooting:
1.half, then full windows reinstall
  1. bios update
  2. amd chipset driver update
  3. memory test (healthy)
  4. drive test (healthy)
Thanks, After talking with a technician we've kind of assumed it could be hardware issue.
No, nothing is physically "broken".
(at least not due to the old Windows trying to boot up in the new hardware)

You just need to do a full wipe and reinstall.
Given all new parts and old OS, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
You are between #2 and 3.

Fresh install of the OS and everything else will fix this right up.

(yes, you say you did it already. try it one more time)

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
Did you install new RAM to match the needs of your new CPU?
This ram is NOT on my motherboards QVL list, but the ram itself is fine (as proved with memory test) and we tried limiting speeds to 2800mhz and tried single channel with a different stick.

Forums have said its most likely something else than the ram not being on the QVL list, but it is something to keep in mind thank you.

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016

1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely

Last night I changed my power plan from Ryzen balanced to windows balanced (after a quick google search, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference, in fact the Ryzen power plan is recommended for a 3000 series CPU. But, for some reason all day today I have not had any freezing, and I am kind of playing around at this moment to see if it'll pop up again, if it does then I guess I will try a third reinstall of windows (second full wipe and reinstall) and get back to you.

Task manager says that clock speeds are around the same with the swap, and Ryzen master says the voltage is around the same after the swap as well.

Average around 4-4.2 GHZ on idle (according to task manager) which is a little high for me, ive never seen it below 3.8 with both power plans, but I hear its fine with "the way Ryzen puts its cores to sleep"

and average 1.295 - 1.396 volts on idle around there.

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016

1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely

Hello,

So im back here again, still having issues. This must be a hardware or non-compatibility issue.

I have reinstalled windows 3 times now. My drives are healthy, the were tested by a technician.

these freezes are so weird, kinda of like a slow computer lagging and unable to close a program until it fully locks up after i start spamming it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ryzen 7 3700x
MAG B550 Tomahawk
g.skill f4-2800c17d 16 gb ram
GTX 1070 FTW
750 GOLD EVGA psu
Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo (idle temps between 30-40C and never above 60C on load)
500gb sata 3 ssd
1tb hdd

Did you take it to a store? How did technician check drives? what makes/models are they?

CPU run Prime 95 to test it and ram at same time
Download - https://www.mersenne.org/download/
Prime 95 Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

Ram
What memory test did you run?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

not many things can be involved in slow downs..

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
Did you take it to a store? How did technician check drives? what makes/models are they?

Ram
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Ram

Ram is tested and passed using memtest, we also used different ram that was "tester ram" limited at 2400 mhz.

Technician told me he actually disconnected the drives and tried with his own stuff (im guessing own software on a tester pc, point is he removed the drives and tested the health of them himself).

I understand that it may not be enough to test, but come one they were working fine up to the point I put my new CPU/MB in so why would it be them?

Its also not "slow downs" its full lock ups (cant click anything), or single app lock ups, or non responsive apps (Spotify wont play next song or audio stops and I cant skip/pause/click another song but it shows the animation of clicking).

Load doesn't affect the rate of problems, nor do long videos. It only freezes when Im tabbing through tasks or closing/opening tasks. In game or a long video play wont freeze it.

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
okay, so test CPU & RAM then.
CPU was stress tested by the technician and showed no issues, as to regard what he used I forget what he said but it was prime95? or some cpu bench mark. I've also personally had 0 crashes or blue screens or motherboard beeps or FPS issues in games.

How do you test motherboard? that is the only other new hardware other than my CPU

I also just said that the RAM was :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
There are no tests for the motherboard. You test everything else and if all those parts are okay, it likely means MB is cause.
So if you are saying everything else works fine, it can only be the MB
did tech swap good working parts onto your MB to test if it worked?

I don't like saying its MB without proof but there are no ways to test it. Besides swapping another board in to see if problems go away. Most people don't have a spare mb though. I don't suggest blindly replacing things.

Or its the ram since its not on MB QVL. Ram might be fine but as its not been tested with board, it might still cause freezing.

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
There are no tests for the motherboard. You test everything else and if all those parts are okay, it likely means MB is cause.
So if you are saying everything else works fine, it can only be the MB
did tech swap good working parts onto your MB to test if it worked?

I don't like saying its MB without proof but there are no ways to test it. Besides swapping another board in to see if problems go away. Most people don't have a spare mb though. I don't suggest blindly replacing things.

Or its the ram since its not on MB QVL. Ram might be fine but as its not been tested with board, it might still cause freezing.
Yeah, everything was tested with this board. I, nor does the tech have a spare AMD board. The CPU was tested using this board (although showing no issue) could it still be the culprit?

I was planning on getting a new storage device so have a COMPLETE fresh windows drive, but yes, the RAM compatibility could a thing.

Suggestions for a good 16gb pack of ram with R7 3700x, im literally going to go out today and get it.

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
what ram did you buy? I was probably asleep by time you posted as it was 7.30am by then.
I currently have 5 year old g.skill f4-2800c17d 16 gb ram. Although healthy, it is not on my MB QVL list and is my first step in hardware replacement.

As for RAM purchasing, Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 16GB Kit seemed like a solid option, I just wanted a mods opinion.

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
if its on the QVL (which given how common it is, it might be) then you should be fine. I think my last 3 PC have uses corsair ram, its hard to say before then.

Yeah, its on the QVL list, so I'll be ordering that very soon.

While I have you here, I asked a question in an earlier forum regarding chipset drivers and didn't get a solid response.

AMD, and Motherboard chipset installation is a little beyond my computer knowledge.

But i went into AMD SMBus Properties and looked at the driver date and version and it does not match the one on the MSI website for my motherboard.

Drivers on PC:
Driver Date: 3/8/2020
Driver Version: 5.12.0.38

Driver on MSI:
Driver Date: 2020-12-11
Driver Version: 2.10.26.336

Can you tell me if I am up to date or not and or if the technician I went to installed the wrong driver?

(I don't know where he got the instillation from (cpu or mb manufacturer)

I want to say I do appreciate the help, this forum has helped me way more than paying someone loads of cash to not even diagnose the issue (the technician I went to).

Edit for parts reference:
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Colif

Win 11 Master
Chipset drivers.
Easiest answer to question is to get them direct from AMD and then you know you have newest - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550
Driver version on AMD is: 2.10.13.408

the only difference between the AMD and the MSI versions is installer package version, not driver versions. MSI probably have changed some of the labelling as well. So it says MSI in the software. OEM often do this.

5.12.0.38 is an individual driver in the package, it was first in a package from April last year and as you can see , they are still using it now
AMD SMBUS Driver5.12.0.38No Change
it shows under package contents - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-ryzen-chipset-2-10-13-408

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
Chipset drivers.
Easiest answer to question is to get them direct from AMD and then you know you have newest - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550
Driver version on AMD is: 2.10.13.408

the only difference between the AMD and the MSI versions is installer package version, not driver versions. MSI probably have changed some of the labelling as well. So it says MSI in the software. OEM often do this.

5.12.0.38 is an individual driver in the package, it was first in a package from April last year and as you can see , they are still using it now
AMD SMBUS Driver5.12.0.38No Change
it shows under package contents - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-ryzen-chipset-2-10-13-408
So it looks like regarding chipset driver updates im fine, I just download the newest AMD driver and installed it from the link you sent to be 100%

I ordered new ram and I will keep the thread up to date if the PC still bugs or not.

Thanks

Last edited:

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
So it looks like regarding chipset driver updates im fine, I just download the newest AMD driver and installed it from the link you sent to be 100%

I ordered new ram and I will keep the thread up to date if the PC still bugs or not.

Thanks
So as you know, random tasks can freeze, and today as I was about to open an excel spreadsheet and was looking through windows file explorer and that task froze up. By now, I am used to going into task manager and force ending tasks and re-opening them to fix the problem.

Well I did that and both my monitors turned blue. Not a BSOD with the sad face but just blue. It didnt fix itself so I had to reset the computer.

I also want to let you know I did in fact install new RAM that is now on my QVL with no fix.

According to crystal dysk, my SSD that carries windows is healthy, my HDD is on caution. But as far as I know, cautions arent cause for immediate concern, especially shouldn't be a concern because its not carrying windows. What on earth is the problem with my computer?

Is this a CPU issue, windows compatibility, or motherboard, or? Ive done all the software troubleshooting I can think of, and ive replaced my (already healthy) RAM to ones that are on my QVL.

A couple days ago I made 2 videos I showing what my computer is doing. They can be found here and here

or copy and paste these yt links:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTP_IH9_Xr4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PSR8II7FwI

im sad :(

Appreciate any help I can get, honestly.