Did I murder my motherboard?

ShortRef

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Just bought a new motherboard...

I accidently put the 6pin connector (the one used for graphics cards) into the 2 x 4 connector (the one for the CPU). Fitted it without forcing, tried to turn machine on but absolutely nothing.

So I realised what an idiot I was so I took that 6pin out and put the 4pin in there for the CPU, started machine, fans spinned round but no picture or bios beeps.

So either I broke the motherboard, or it was already faulty (I installed it correctly, nothing was shorting it out, jumpers were in default, graphics card had power, I retested all the components on the old motherboard and they were working fine, graphics card was in properly ect ect).

I understand that the 6pin gives 12v, 2amps and 75 watts but the 4pin gives 12v, 16 amps and 175 watts. I dont know if motherboard can fry if they dont get the required power.

Would doing such a thing fry a motherboard? I am RMAing it and getting a shop to put a new mobo in.

ShortRef

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I did a bare post to try and get it working (Put motherboard on the removable motherboard tray on the wooden desk with cpu, ram, gfx card and PSU hooked up, nothing).

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The mobo is probably toast... not due to the watts/amp difference but the configuration of the positive and negative wires.....