Question Did I receive a dead PSU?

Feb 11, 2019
Hello,

The power supply I will be talking about is a non modular Cooler Master MWE Bronze 600W.

A buddy of mine was building a PC and I showed up to help him finish the build, mostly everything was plugged in, just had to install the hard drive and plug in a few cables for him. Upon trying to start it up we sadly got no response, I checked all connections, tried a different wall socket and checked the connections again to no avail. Then I decided to check up on the PSU and tried to manually start it by connecting the power start pin with the COM pin next to it in the 24 pin power cord. That's when we noticed a weird burning smell and I am now pretty sure we have a bad PSU but wanted to get some suggestions or knowledge from people more experienced than myself. Is there anything my friend could have done to cause this to start or is it a factory issue? Is there anything else to try so to get it going? I was gonna open it up and look inside but there is a sticker saying that it would void the warranty.

Thanks.