[SOLVED] Did i ruin my monitor?

Jan 16, 2022
I just bought a second-hand monitor today, plugged it in, and was happy.
when i was going about the Nvidia Control panel to set up the settings, i saw i could enable Gsync, which i did,
a few seconds after the entire screen turned black, slowly (like grey goo spreading), i then disabled the option again. but now the screen stays black.

i was under the impression the option would not be present if the monitor didn't support it, (like it was with my previous monitors)
and that disabling it would fix it.

after i disabled the option i shut down the pc, took out all power cabled from both PC and Monitor waited 30 sec and then turned on the machine
the screen is still black.
I tried using an HDMI cable with no luck and a DPort Cable with no luck. (i enabled it while using DPort cable,)

If more info is needed i am willing to provide with it.

EDIT
Monitor is MSI MPG27CQ
GPU Is GTX 1060 6gb

Last edited:
Solution
i was under the impression the option would not be present if the monitor didn't support it, (like it was with my previous monitors)

Nvidia has made it so, where, when you have GTX 1050 series or newer GPU (including GTX 1060 series), you can enable G-Sync on all monitors that doesn't have G-Sync built in, using Freesync as a bridge.
Further reading: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

Now, your monitor isn't tested by Nvidia, to be G-Sync compatible and while you can still use G-Sync over Freesync on non-tested monitors, Nvidia rep said that there shouldn't be any damage to monitor, when using non-tested one (like yours).

There also...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Nvidia has made it so, where, when you have GTX 1050 series or newer GPU (including GTX 1060 series), you can enable G-Sync on all monitors that doesn't have G-Sync built in, using Freesync as a bridge.
Further reading: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

Now, your monitor isn't tested by Nvidia, to be G-Sync compatible and while you can still use G-Sync over Freesync on non-tested monitors, Nvidia rep said that there shouldn't be any damage to monitor, when using non-tested one (like yours).

There also doesn’t appear to be any risk to your hardware. Sharma said he couldn’t think of any big risks to running G-Sync on a non-certified monitor but added that it could depend on the monitor vendor.

“And it's easy enough to try,” Sharma added. “Take a monitor that you know is fixed frequency, an old one, 60 Hz, and then go into the video control panel, and turn on G-Sync Compatible and then go play a game. And check -- if the monitor doesn't like the signal it’s getting it’ll just show a black screen [or something].”

Quote source: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/should-you-care-if-your-monitor-is-certified-g-sync-compatible

However, just because there "shouldn't be", doesn't mean "there isn't any". With this, it is possible that there are some cases out there, that kill the non-certified Freesync monitor, when trying to enable G-Sync, where yours could be one of those cases.

Then again, why was this MSI monitor on 2nd hand market in the first place?
It's a good VA panel, 27", 2K, 144 Hz, 1ms monitor. Unless it developed a fault the seller knew, but failed to disclose. And that fault may have very well be the reason why it died on you.

Solution
Jan 16, 2022
Then again, why was this MSI monitor on 2nd hand market in the first place?
It's a good VA panel, 27", 2K, 144 Hz, 1ms monitor. Unless it developed a fault the seller knew, but failed to disclose. And that fault may have very well be the reason why it died on you.
it was bought off a friend that has been using it with a PS5. it also worked until I activated Gsync.

Looks like it is bricked. oh well. S*** Happens