[SOLVED] Did I Undersize My Power Supply

acidblue811

Reputable
Jul 21, 2019
Hi guys, just built a new PC (my first in about 10 years or so). As far as I can tell everything's connected correctly but it isn't turning on. I'm thinking it's the power supply. I have a Corsair VS450 (450 watts). The other components are as follows:

Case: PHANTEKS ENTHOO PRO M ATX (2 fans)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (w/ cooling stack)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4G
RAM: Team Elite Plus 8GB DDR4 (x1)
HD: WD Blue 4TB WD40EZRZ (x2)

I looked up some number for these units during planning but as I said above, I think I may have undersized my power supply. Looking for a second opinion. Thanks in advance guys.

Solution
Welcome to the forums!

It's not bad in terms of power you need and sheer wattage. It's a matter of quality and Corsair VS series are not good quality.

Is the VS from the 10 year-old system or a new purchase? If it's old that might be the reason for system not POSTing.

A solid 450W could be enough as long as you don't do heavy overclocking (which is not a problem as new Ryzen's can not be OCed that much as far as I know and the 1050 Ti would be OCed that much too.

If you do a quick search on the forums here you'd find numerous threads about problems with VS PSUs.

Plus I don't know what you basically intend to do with the system but there is a kind of imbalance between a powerful CPU and an entry-level GPU which would struggle in...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

It's not bad in terms of power you need and sheer wattage. It's a matter of quality and Corsair VS series are not good quality.

Is the VS from the 10 year-old system or a new purchase? If it's old that might be the reason for system not POSTing.

A solid 450W could be enough as long as you don't do heavy overclocking (which is not a problem as new Ryzen's can not be OCed that much as far as I know and the 1050 Ti would be OCed that much too.

If you do a quick search on the forums here you'd find numerous threads about problems with VS PSUs.

Plus I don't know what you basically intend to do with the system but there is a kind of imbalance between a powerful CPU and an entry-level GPU which would struggle in most recent AAA games, if gaming is one of the things you intend to do with this system.

Solution

acidblue811

Reputable
Jul 21, 2019
Welcome to the forums!

Plus I don't know what you basically intend to do with the system but there is a kind of imbalance between a powerful CPU and an entry-level GPU which would struggle in most recent AAA games, if gaming is one of the things you intend to do with this system.

Thanks for the info, the power supply is new. If I have to replace it, do you have any recommendations?

I was mostly planning to use the PC for AutoCAD and some gaming. I may replace the GPU down the line.

You are also missing a significant amount of performance by using 1x8gb RAM. You really want 2x4gb or 2x8gb so it can in dual channel.

The Corsair CX550 or CX550M is moderate quality and usually well priced. There are better if you are willing to spend more.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Thanks for the info, the power supply is new. If I have to replace it, do you have any recommendations?

I was mostly planning to use the PC for AutoCAD and some gaming. I may replace the GPU down the line.

Well as said above a good 550W PSU would be OK. Those mentioned Corsair ones (CX 550 and CX550M) are the 'budget' units that are actually worth recommending.

It depends on how much you want to spend and somehow also depends on what you would plan to upgrade the GPU to. If it'd be a power-hungry demnading GPU I'd get a 650W now to eliminate the need to replace PSU when the GPU upgrade is a go.

Hi guys, just built a new PC (my first in about 10 years or so). As far as I can tell everything's connected correctly but it isn't turning on. I'm thinking it's the power supply. I have a Corsair VS450 (450 watts). The other components are as follows:

Case: PHANTEKS ENTHOO PRO M ATX (2 fans)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (w/ cooling stack)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4G
RAM: Team Elite Plus 8GB DDR4 (x1)
HD: WD Blue 4TB WD40EZRZ (x2)

I looked up some number for these units during planning but as I said above, I think I may have undersized my power supply. Looking for a second opinion. Thanks in advance guys.

If it's the newer version of the VS450 (this one: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...y-Units/vs-series-config-2018/p/CP-9020170-NA ) you should be fine with that particular build. Just keep in mind you haven't left yourself much of an upgrade path.

It's very unlikely you have a DOA PSU. Not impossible, but unlikely.

How are you turning the PC on? You have the power switch from the case on the two "POWER ON" pins on the front panel header, right? Because simply flipping the ON/OFF switch on the back of the PSU is not going to turn it on.

If you have the PSU properly hooked up and the front panel pins properly hooked up and nothing is lighting up at all you can test the PSU by itself, but you need to unplug all of the power cables from your motherboard, etc.

Get a paperclip, unfold it and bend it into the shape of a U and follow these instructions:

http://jongerow.com/PSU_test/

As the page says, just jump that paper clip from the PWR ON pin to any ground. Don't worry! There's no power going to any of those pins other than the +5VSB, so you're perfectly safe doing this.

TRENDING THREADS