[SOLVED] Did my AIO pump die?

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Hey guys and gals,

2 nights ago i was sitting at my desk and my computer was working fine. I rebooted before i went to bed and when computer restarted i could hear my fans on my h100i v2 running really fast. I checked my temps in HWinfo64 and my cpu package was running at 86C. When i got around to dealing with it yesterday i noticed that if i laid my computer on its side and turned it on then my temps were in the 30's but if i stand it up again the temps go up into high 40's.

Today im trying to run a full scan in windows security and the temps hang out around 45c while its running but every once in a while the temps go into the 80's and stay there for a while before dropping again. The radiator fans ramp up when that happens. Do temps going into 80's like that make sense when only running a scan?

I also noticed that when the case is standing upright that one of the hoses coming from the pump is cool and the other is much warmer but when i lay it on side the other hose is still warm but barely compared to when case is upright. I read online thats usually a signal your pump has died. Am i correct to assume its my AIO or is it possible it could be something else maybe motherboard related?

FYI- I have my case inverted(Silent base 802) with radiator on top but pump is still below radiator inlets.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Sounds like a failing pump or perhaps running low on liquid (depending on how old this is). Having one tube much warmer than the other is a telltale sign of an ineffective AIO; the delta between them should only be a degree or two on a properly functioning AIO. Liquid has to move very quickly to cool using this method since a radiator is not an air conditioner.

DSzymborski

Titan
Sounds like a failing pump or perhaps running low on liquid (depending on how old this is). Having one tube much warmer than the other is a telltale sign of an ineffective AIO; the delta between them should only be a degree or two on a properly functioning AIO. Liquid has to move very quickly to cool using this method since a radiator is not an air conditioner.

Solution

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

DSzymborski,

Thats what im leaning towards. When its standing 1 tube is definitely much warmer. When its on side theirs a difference but barely so probably a degree or two like u mentioned.

I bought it in June of 2018 and computer ran with a 4.6ghz OC until 3 months ago when i built my new 12900k build.

Thanks for responding .

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Odd! Ive left it on side all night last night and temps never went above 42 all night. Now i stood it up again for 2nd time today and temps are 32-35c and the tube that was much warmer is now much cooler. Its still warmer then other tube but barely.
PC is idle though because im not using it for anythng at moment. Now i just ran prime 95 for a few minutes and the one tube started getting warmer within a few seconds and the other one still feels cool. Pump also is cool to the touch.
Core temps are up to 86c after 4 minutes but CPU package is at 90c. Liquid temp went up to 47c while running

I'm guessing - after 4 years of operation AIO liquid has evaporated partially.

Try relocating AIO radiator to front mounted position (hose ports at bottom, cpu block lower than top position of radiator)
and see, if that changes things. Fan direction would need to be changed for intake orientation then.

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I'm guessing - after 4 years of operation AIO liquid has evaporated partially.

Try relocating AIO radiator to front mounted position (hose ports at bottom, cpu block lower than top position of radiator)
and see, if that changes things. Fan direction would need to be changed for intake orientation then.
Last night i put cover back on and it has been running at 30c when not under load and hasnt gone above 70c when im using it. If i move it on its side or turn it in any other direction then the temps go up. So im thinking u r probably correct that some liquid has evaporated. Think im just going to replace

Thanks again.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If i go with AIO again any manufacturers i should avoid?
Most brands you see today, they don't make their own; another company does it. Which company makes it isn't always disclosed either, and there's what? About 5* of them?
Asetek, Cool It, and Apaltek are the most popular of those. [I know there's more than 3, I just don't know their names.]
Apaltek looks to be one to avoid, as they have a bit of a track record of coolers clogging up earlier than they should be. Kraken M22, MAG & MPG Coreliquid, Fractal Lumen... they did those.

Few brands do their own, in-house designs. Arctic, Cooler Master, and Alphacool are some.

If i go with nice fan cooler what is good these days?
Too many to name, I think. For air coolers, I'd suggest considering the largest ones that fit within the case while still clearing the ram, and even ram clearance isn't that much of an issue; dual towers let you install a front fan to the back.
With a clearance of 185mm, there isn't an air cooler that wouldn't fit...

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Most brands you see today, they don't make their own; another company does it. Which company makes it isn't always disclosed either, and there's what? About 5* of them?
Asetek, Cool It, and Apaltek are the most popular of those. [I know there's more than 3, I just don't know their names.]
Apaltek looks to be one to avoid, as they have a bit of a track record of coolers clogging up earlier than they should be. Kraken M22, MAG & MPG Coreliquid, Fractal Lumen... they did those.

Few brands do their own, in-house designs. Arctic, Cooler Master, and Alphacool are some.

Too many to name, I think. For air coolers, I'd suggest considering the largest ones that fit within the case while still clearing the ram, and even ram clearance isn't that much of an issue; dual towers let you install a front fan to the back.
With a clearance of 185mm, there isn't an air cooler that wouldn't fit...

I appreciate the information. Going to buy something when i get around to it over next few weeks. As of now the Pc has still been running Ok. Have no clue why im getting this second wind out of my AIO. During day with my trading application open and an excel file my temps stay about 38-40c all day.

Thanks for your help.