Did my external hard drive repair itself?

Shantanu Ghose

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
This is my hard drive http://www.flipkart.com/seagate-backup-plus-1-tb-external-hard-disk/p/itmdmyf9kzkvsx8a?pid=ACCDBEF6G2AH5TWC&otracker=from-search&srno=t_5&query=seagate&ref=54a47980-cd93-4643-bd7d-7ab97664f29b .So this is a thread i created last october (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1835972/external-hard-drive-clicking.html) after i found out that it if i grabbed the hard drive during copying files,i could feel it clicking,,,it dint show any errors in crystaldiskinfo,,,but after a few days,,crystaldiskinfo started to show that it had some errors,,i looked them up and it became evident that my hard drive was dying,,i backed up all the data,but havent returned it yet,,i sometimes use it for transferring large data but never store anything in it,,,so recently i scanned the drive using crystaldiskinfo but the errors are gone and its shows the status as GOOD,,plus i dont feel it clicking during copying stuff anymore,,so does it mean it is somehow repaired and i can store stuff in it now or should i be still worried and RMA it?? Help me!!

Solution
well there isn't an option for smart check for external hard drive but the other tests turned out fine *touches wood*

Sounds good. The drive "should" be OK, but I'd keep a close eye on it, especially the SMART data.

I have found that HD Sentinel is a very good program for tracking the health of HDDs. You should install this program next and see if it works with external drives.

Yogi

D/L and install "Seatools for Windows". http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/
Plug in the suspect HDD and run the "Short Generic Test". If it fails the test, note the error code. If it passes the test run the "Long Generic Test". If it passes, you're OK. If it fails, note the failure code.

Is the HDD still within Seagate warranty? If it is and the drive has failed any tests, contact Seagate about an RMA to get the drive replaced. If it is passed warranty period, I'm sorry. You now have a fine paperweight.

Yogi

Shantanu Ghose

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

okay i will run them and post the results,,,and yes it is still under warranty

Shantanu Ghose

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

it passed the long generic test

OK.
Smart Check?
Short drive self test?
Short Generic?

If it passed all of the above, your HDD should be OK.

Yogi

Shantanu Ghose

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

well there isn't an option for smart check for external hard drive but the other tests turned out fine *touches wood*

Sounds good. The drive "should" be OK, but I'd keep a close eye on it, especially the SMART data.

I have found that HD Sentinel is a very good program for tracking the health of HDDs. You should install this program next and see if it works with external drives.

Yogi

Solution

Shantanu Ghose

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

so should i start storing data in it again?

Yes but be sure that you're keeping multiple copies of your data. Be sure to have a good back-up strategy!

Yogi

Shantanu Ghose

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

see the above problem

Shantanu Ghose

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

okay thanks

Shantanu Ghose

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

i could only do the short drive self test

mIyO2AJ.png

I have the CRC error rate as "36".. It occurs from the connection cable errors. You should've plugged out the hard drive when "not responding" or some ports might be connected in loose and slightly touching the cable would disconnect and reconnect the hard drive. So, the program used to check the health of hard disk recognize it as a problem, because all those programs were created based on health checking for int. hard drives. So, what if an int. hard drive has communication errors? the system will crash, so the cable should be replaced. But for ext. hard drive, it should be fine when compared to internal hard drive. I bought a Sony HD-E1 1 TB ext. Hard Dive from flipkart too !

Shantanu Ghose

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

crystaldiskinfo reports the crc error for internal hard drive as 200 and for the external hard drive as 100,,,but still shows both statuses as "OK",,,should i be worried?

Now this means, the motherboard has failed to connect to internal hard drive a 200 times. The cable should be replaced ASAP to prevent BSODs..

TRENDING THREADS