[SOLVED] Did my GPU somehow fry my monitor? Did I get a lemon GPU?

Feb 2, 2020
I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction. This is going to be a long post, please excuse my noobishness also.

I built my pc a week ago, and everything has been fine up until this morning. I woke my computer and stepped away for a few minutes. The moment I came back and sat at my computer, both monitors went it power saving mode, flicked off, and the fans in my computer seemed to kick into overdrive (they’ve never been that loud before. My pc sounded like it was about to blast off). Moving the mouse and pressing a key did nothing to wake the monitors. I restarted my pc and the monitors still wouldn’t come on, again the fans were roaring. They were backlit though, and the main monitor just kept switching between analog and HDMI.

I switched out cables and it did the same thing. I got my fiancé’s monitor and it worked for a moment;it got to the sign in screen before going into power saving mode and flicking off, again the fans were roaring and I couldn’t wake the monitors. Restarted and I was able to sign in and get to my desktop screen. I turned my computer off at this point and tried my main monitor on his computer. It didn’t work there either.

So at this point I thought my monitor was just fried. I booted up my pc with only the 2nd monitor plugged in to the VGA port on my graphics card. I was able to sign in and play a game for an hour before I left for work. My computer was on when I left.

I just came home and my computer was off. Now when I turn it on, my second monitor (the main monitor is still unplugged) will make it to the windows symbol and then flick off. Again fans start roaring and I’m unable to wake. So now I’m suspecting it may be my GPU. Any ideas? Did my GPU somehow fry my monitor?

Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X processor
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 Super graphics card

Solution
I’m thinking the graphics card is dead but it might not be the whole story you could be having a power supply failure as well.

TRENDING THREADS