Didn't Get A Valve Steam Machine Prototype? Build Your Own!

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
That's pretty awesome that they put up all of those parts for the contest. I would love a steam box personally. And pretty cool build too. Ill keep my fingers crossed.. lol

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
eh, wait till it hits the market. I'm sure

A) manufacturers will start shelling out slim SFF cases similar to the steam machine designs

B) you can buy broken steam boxes from ebay and salvage the case

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The selection was "made for us" when nobody could provide a suitable alternative. There were some alternatives in the past, but those are no longer in production. And there will be some alternatives in the future, but those aren't being produce yet.

The past cases were Micro ATX based. I believe this new one might be made of some of those parts. But its manufacturer came up with a new reason not to reduce its size from former glory: It added a large radiator mount. Azza's new target market will be slim gaming system overclockers, even though it appears that the previous version of this case was probably an office desktop (or Micro ATX media center). Meanwhile, a Tom's Hardware team member or two will continue watching for even smaller alternative cases.

aatir

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Its nice and all but would not a person be limited for future upgrades with this i would rather prefer a full tower or mid-tower PC.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Pretty cool. I remember having similar issues when picking parts for my HTPC a couple of years ago and ended up folding for a standard ATX case from nMedia, this looks much better!

Given that we don't any SteamOS benches any word on temps or how it runs with SteamOS?

I think the SteamBoxes didn't rely on the stock HSF for the CPUs.

It would be a very good time to do another cooling efficiency for SFF HSFs :p

Let's see how they all fit in this case and perform.

Cheers!

sagara16

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
really nice article and since steam if the major gaming station on pc it would be loved by everyone including me!

AJSB

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I also made my SteamBox....using a 65mm X 190mm X 220mm case.

Includes a WiFi Card (can be replaced by a mSATA card), ODD, 2.5 HDD and 8GB DDR3 at 2133 MHz....and a AMD APU.

Right now uses a Trinity APU that will be replaced by a Kaveri when they arrive.

Clonazepam I would like to see you run dota2 on those specs. Linux requires are dual core 2.8GHz, 4GB's ram, and HD2600/3600. While specs you suggest will meet minimum requirements for games like cs source, team fortress 2, and left 4 dead 2 you'll need a mid range current card to run them at 1080p.

Clonazepam I would like to see you run dota2 on those specs. Linux requires are dual core 2.8GHz, 4GB's ram, and HD2600/3600. While specs you suggest will meet minimum requirements for games like cs source, team fortress 2, and left 4 dead 2 you'll need a mid range current card to run them at 1080p.

I like this whole idea of basically being able to build your own game console. But the smaller the fans the louder they seem to be. I would think the stock cooling fan and the smaller PSU fan would create the fan noise no one is looking for.

The new Xbox Ones are close to silent. You have to put your ear right above it to hear a fan even while gaming. By no means am I saying they are better at gaming than my PC with a 3930K and 2 780s, but a small, quiet running machine is what I look to put on my entertainment center. This is why my Xbox One is on my entertainment center.

I would think a PC with small fans is going to be pretty loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.