Question Difference between E5-2643v3 and E5 2643v4

May 23, 2019
Hey All,

Was wondering if I might be able to pick some brains here. I am trying to figure out the difference between the E5-2643v3 and E5 2643v4 Xeon processors. Based on what I found, the differences are negligible. For the V4, there is slightly more memory bandwidth and the V4 is 14nm vs the V3 which has 22nm. Besides that, I can see no difference whatsoever but if you check what these are going for on e-bay (used), the V4 is selling for several times higher in price. For example. I found one E5-2643v3 for $200 but a E5 2643v4 was selling for over $1000. There are several other postings where the V4 chip is much higher. Does anyone know why? buddy of mine gave me a c612 dual socket board and was thinking of putting it to some good use. The 2643 v3/v4 series seemed to have the highest clock speed so I am looking at that one. But if the performance for the V3 is nearly the same, I think I will go for that instead.

Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
CPU World gives you some pretty good difference comparison. But the price difference, I suspect, is due to the fact that the V4 is 1 1/2 years newer tech (Broadwell) and still in demand, Where as the V3 (Haswell) is less popular.

Are you intending to use it as a server or workstation? Or going to put it into service as a general purpose PC for gaming? If the latter, I'd go with the less expensive V3, if you're sure the board has a late enough BIOS to support either CPU.
Can you list the make and model of the board?

May 23, 2019
Thank you for your reply. I plan on using it for video encoding / decoding and as a multi-media server. As for the board, it is an asus z10pe-d16 ws. I think I will go for the V3's. Even if they are a bit slower, the price differential is too great to ignore.

Thanks again,

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Probably the better choice. And you've no doubt checked the motherboard's website out for details. It appears the board will recognize the V3 from the very first BIOS (0501). So, you're good there.

I forgot to mention; you can buy 2 x V3 for less than half the price of a single V4 and have more performance at your chosen tasks than a single V4, anyway. Assuming the software recognizes dual CPUs, that is.

That's a heck of a nice board to be given for free. It is still being sold at retail for $500! Newegg

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS