Difference Between GTX 1060 vs GTX 1060 FE

joselu.02.tdhd

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I have a question:

I would like to know the difference between the MSI GTX 1060 6GB and the same but founders edition

regards

Solution

$350 is too high for a...
The MSI 1060 is an open air style, while the founders edition is a blower style. They each have their benefits and drawbacks in different situations. For someone building a mid tower, the open air cooler will be better. It will be much quieter and somewhat cooler than the founders edition.

However, if someone was doing a small form factor build, the founders edition is the better card to get. Since SFF cases don't have great airflow, it helps to have the blower style pushing a lot of air out the back of the case.

Dont but the FE card. Cooling on the FE cards are terrible. Maybe in some cases with limited airflow it may have some benefits. But they are very loud and 99% of the time have worse cooling than a AIB cooled card. The FE was also a marketing gimmick by Nvidia as they would charge more for them when released. I definitely would not pay more for one and would only get a FE card if it was really cheap or I had a very small build (even then I probably would not).

If you have an extremely small case with bad airflow get an fe otherwise never get them since they run hotter, louder and don't gpu boost as high as aftermarket versions.

joselu.02.tdhd

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017

I have the nzxt s340 elite box, and the 1060 6GB edition of the founders is for $ 300, while the msi is for + 350 $.
Which would be better than both?
PS: Sorry for the spelling, but I'm translating esque, because I do not understand angles

joselu.02.tdhd

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017

I was referring to the founder edition, I like it more than msi, but I do not know ...

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

just because it may look cool, doesnt mean its cool

the FE is generally inferior to all custom versions like that MSI, UNLESS you have a small cramped pc case with poor ventilation in which case you want to use a blower style 1060 like the FE

$350 is too high for a 1060 6gb in my opinion. GPU prices are through the roof due to mining unfortunately. The 1070 MSRP is $349 and you will be hard pressed to find one under $400.

In good conscience, I just cant justify paying $350 for a 1060. But that is just me.

I don't know your location, but in the US on pcpartpicker.com there are a bunch of 1060 6gb for under $300 that are much better than a FE card.

Are you big in overclocking? While I really dislike the FE cooling design, if you are running at stock clocks there will no be much of a difference. There may be a little more noise and temps may be a few degrees higher, but they wont be close to thermal throttling. If your like me, a few more db in sound is not a problem cause I have on a headset or music is on and I cant hear it. If you are playing in an area that has to be silent, then the noise may be a bigger factor.

But if you are not going to overclock and little bit more fan noise is not a problem, I would save the $50 and get the FE over the other card. You will never see any visual difference in the performance between the two cards. They both have the same GPU made by NVidia inside. The only time you would see a difference in performance is the other card may have a higher score in a benchmark.

Solution