Difference between SSD and HDD for storage?

Apr 6, 2018
What is the difference? I'm going to buy a new PC, currently this one has 1TB storage and the one i'm thinking of buying has 240SSD.. But i don't know the difference and it sounds like very little space. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks in advance.

Solution
SSD is much faster and last longer -> no mechanical friction like HDD, and data is safe even if you drop or cut the power. HDD is the opposite.

A popular choice is to mix SSD and HDD, 250 gb ssd + 1tb hdd is very common choice. You can always add an SSD or HDD after you get the pc. More details on the pc please?
SSD is much faster and last longer -> no mechanical friction like HDD, and data is safe even if you drop or cut the power. HDD is the opposite.

A popular choice is to mix SSD and HDD, 250 gb ssd + 1tb hdd is very common choice. You can always add an SSD or HDD after you get the pc. More details on the pc please?

Solution
SSD is great for your operating system and maybe a few games or things you need fast access to on a regular basis; however, seeing that there isn't a physical medium upon which data is written, they can and do wear out over time which will result in a decrease in performance with complete failure at some point. They also cost a lot more per amount of space when compared to a traditional HDD. While HDD don't have the same issues as SSDs, they are certainly susceptible to their own issues or hazards.

As Vapour mentioned, the popular option is to run an SSD + HDD setup.

OS and commonly used apps, games in SSD, photos/utilities/junk on 'slower drives'...

(Honestly, even the allegedly 'slow' spinning secondary drive does not really feel slow to access to me, perhaps because it is a 7200 rpm drive...? HGST, 4 TB, NAS approved)

TRENDING THREADS