Difference between stereo and 7.1 surround sound headsets?

Solution
If you only use them for listening to music, get stereo. If you will be watching movies with them on or playing games with them, you may want surround 5.1 or 7.1 headsets.

Stereo is the classic Left & Right(Two sources of audio channels)

5.1 has Front Left, Front Right + Surround Left, Surround Right, a Center channel and a Sub Woofer(.1)

7.1 has all of the above plus two more channels Side Left and Side Right

As mentioned, the "surround" is simulated in most headphones and some do it better than others. Human hearing is binaural so sometimes the additional channels crowds out what your are trying to listen to. I prefer to use my Sennheiser 558's over my "gaming" 7.1 headphones for nearly everything... including games.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Stereo, or 2.1, is just a pair of speakers. 7.1 should have 3 left and 3 right channels plus center. This may be artificially simulated through software, though some headphones actually do have more than two speakers.

If you list the models you are looking at some of the local audiophiles should be able to help you out in picking the best headset for a given budget and region.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
My opinion:
Stereo headsets are a better value. Most 7.1 headsets are a joke and require software tricks to make things sound like they in different locations. For a headset, 2 speakers to match your 2 ears will work best.
If you want proper 7.1, setup a surround system in your room.

however:
Try some yourself and see which one YOU like. your the one who has to listen to and enjoy it.

90% of them are all stereo headsets. the ones labeled as surround just use virtual surround sound software to fake/emulate what surround sound would be like. you can add virtual to any stereo set of headphones/headset with a soundcard that supports virtual surround or by using razer virtual surround software.

there are models with so called true surround sound (multiple speaker drivers per ear) but honestly they are no better sounding than virtual given its not a seamless experience. also given that the drivers are cheaper and smaller quality may be less.

If you only use them for listening to music, get stereo. If you will be watching movies with them on or playing games with them, you may want surround 5.1 or 7.1 headsets.

Stereo is the classic Left & Right(Two sources of audio channels)

5.1 has Front Left, Front Right + Surround Left, Surround Right, a Center channel and a Sub Woofer(.1)

7.1 has all of the above plus two more channels Side Left and Side Right

As mentioned, the "surround" is simulated in most headphones and some do it better than others. Human hearing is binaural so sometimes the additional channels crowds out what your are trying to listen to. I prefer to use my Sennheiser 558's over my "gaming" 7.1 headphones for nearly everything... including games.

Solution
Headset surround sound sucks, its nothing like real surround sound. However I have the Tiamat 7.1's which has 10 individual drivers/speakers and a ASUS Pheobus sound card to drive them. The directional sound is better than any 2 speaker headset with software surround sound that I have ever tested but there is a trade off with sound quality as having multiple drivers in a single can causes problems. Generally a good quality stereo headset is better than any similar priced 'Gaming' headset.