Different blue screen every time when booting from USB

mrmetalmario

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Just dropped 2k on a brand new build, already had to RMA the motherboard due to bent pins but I've got another one now!

- i7 8700
- GTX 1080TI
- MSI Z370 SLI Pus
- Corsair 8x8 3000mhz Ram
- RM550x PSU
- Sandisk SSD
- Seagate HDD

I installed windows 10 via USB, everything is going fine, installed all the drivers, started loading steam etc and I get a BSOD.
Reboot and try again, load a few programs, BSOD
Try booting into USB to load windows again, BSOD, in the pre-windows environment.
Would then always BSOD when loading windows so I wiped the drives, now it just BSODs when booting via USB every time, which seems strange because the hard drives aren't even plugged in.

List of steps I've taken, every time it boots to USB I get a BSOD

- Created new bootable windows 10 USB with a different flash drive in a different USB socket
- Unplugged mouse keyboard and ethernet
- Wiped both Hard drives
- Disconnected both hard drives completely
- Swapped the power supply
- Took out the GPU, tried booting from integrated graphics
- Tried with single ram sticks
- Reseated the CPU
- Tried with a DVD ISO
- Set BIOS to default
- Flashed BIOS to latest version

I'm out of ideas, I think it's either a faulty motherboard or CPU.
What do you guys think?

Thanks

you would have to provide the bugcheck codes or the actual memory dump file if you have one.
be sure to update the BIOS if you can.
generally, need at least the bugcheck code and the first parameter (which is the error code)

you might find that plugging in your USB device into a USB 2.x port might work while a USB 3.x port could bugcheck. it is slower but more likely to work before your bios is updated.

with the bugcheck codes you can get a better idea of the causes of the failure.
you should also run memtest86 after you update the BIOS to confirm your memory timings.

mrmetalmario

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
I don't have access to any log files because I can't get into windows.
I have tried a USB 2 port, same problem.
I have updated the bios.

I can get into the bios without a blue screen yes, I have just replaced the motherboard with a brand new one and I'm having the same problem.

mrmetalmario

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017

Sorry the blue screen happens even with no hard drives plugged in, I can't install windows that's the problem.

mrmetalmario

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Yes I tried one stick in all 4 slots with both sticks, still got a blue screen. I can post screen shots when I get home but the error messages were different every time.

And yes the full story is I installed Windows and drivers fine, accidentally installed some malware, so I did a full reinstall again successfully. I then started loading programs like steam and got a blue screen, the machine would boot into windows again and blue screen when opening a few programs, after a few reboots it stopped booting into windows at all and blue screens whener I boot into the installer

mrmetalmario

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Sorry it's B. I previously successfully installed Windows, but have since wiped the drive because of the malware starting from scratch.

I have no operating system on the drive and I get a blue screen when booting into windows installer from usb or disk iso

mrmetalmario

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Made a quick video of the problem:
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20eGz1f3tuQ&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

three blue screen errors were:

irql_not_less_or_equal
system thread exception not handled
System service exception

Question: Did the same problem happen with the previous motherboard?

I know how the media creation tool works, so I know this most likely is a stupid question. But I just want to make sure you didn't just copy the ISO to the flash drive. You mentioned ISO in the video so I want to make sure if you are using an ISO file that you extract the contents to the flash drive (With 7Zip) so the individual files are on the root of the flash drive.

mrmetalmario

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Yes, that's why I though replacing the motherboard might work.
Mix of words, didn't do anything with an ISO file, the media creation tool does every automatically so all the files are in the root of the drive, I didn't copy anything over I formatted the usb drive and ran the tool again.