[SOLVED] Different machines, same install: how practical?

jhsachs

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I'm asking because I have two systems that I use the same way, and I spend a good deal of time configuring them. It sure would be nice if I could configure one, then just clone the disk for the other.

I'm sure the hardware must be similar for this to work. But how similar? I can think of many possible answers, for example:
  • It really doesn't matter as long as the address length and brand of CPU are the same.
  • The motherboards must be the same brand and have the same series and generation of CPU.
  • The motherboards and CPUs must be exactly the same.
  • Forget it; even if the systems are identical it won't work.
I could work with all of those conditions except the last. I can experiment with this, but it would be nice to start with a general idea of what I'm going to find.

I'm running both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 on both machines. Application software won't be an issue; I run only utilities and plain-vanilla stuff like browsers.

jhsachs

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
USAF, I appreciate your effort to answer my question, but I hope you'll try again, or someone else will. You ignored some of what I said and misinterpreted some of it, and that impairs my confidence in your whole answer.

First off, you need two actual OS licenses.

For Windows, of course I do. For Ubuntu, that has no meaning. That is not the question I asked.

Just install each as needs be. Cloning won't really save you any time.

In the original post I explained why it would. Perhaps I am mistaken, but you didn't even address that. It means nothing to just say "It wouldn't" after I've explained why I believe it would.

In case it wasn't clear, I'll expand: to configure two machines I have to do everything twice. To configure one and clone it, I don't. Furthermore, unlike configuration, cloning requires almost no intervention. And half of the time it takes is a sunk cost, because I have to perform the "copy disk to file" half of the cloning operation anyway to have a system backup (see your signature image :)).

In this context, "similar hardware" means actually identical.

That's one possibility I foresaw, but in view of the above, I hope you'll excuse me for wondering what your reasons are for believing that. Is Windows or Ubuntu so finely tuned, for example, that it installs differently for a i7-4770K and an i7-4770S, and a clone simply won't boot?

In any case, I said that I can work with a requirement for identical hardware, so "means actually identical" does not mean "not practical at all." It just means that my hardware choices are more limited than I might like.

USAFRet

Titan
A clone across 2 different systems may or may not work.
It is exactly like trying to move the physical drive.

2 very very similar systems? It might work.
Try it and see what happens.

Your Linux will almost certainly work.
Windows is far more picky. Win 10 is a LOT better than previous versions, when presented with different hardware. But still not 100%.

kanewolf

Titan
[
That's one possibility I foresaw, but in view of the above, I hope you'll excuse me for wondering what your reasons are for believing that. Is Windows or Ubuntu so finely tuned, for example, that it installs differently for a i7-4770K and an i7-4770S, and a clone simply won't boot?

In any case, I said that I can work with a requirement for identical hardware, so "means actually identical" does not mean "not practical at all." It just means that my hardware choices are more limited than I might like.
The motherboard and not the CPU is what has to be the same. If you had an MSI Z97 motherboard for the 4770K and a Gigabyte H87 motherboard for the 4770S the probability of Windows 10 being "transportable" is low.