Different speed and size of ram will work? Also APU Ram question.

gidonyou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Hello, recently I bought 4 2 gb 2133 mhz memory. But I have only 4 slot on my M/B. So, I am planning to buy one 8gb 1600 mhz memory and replace one of my 2gb 2133 mhz. However, will it be compatiable? also if it does, can I assign my APU to use fast 2133 mhz ram not 1600? Thanks :D

Solution
Best to get all the DRAM you want/need in a single package - that way it's tested to play nice, mixing can be problematic and often is, See more (Item 2) here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html

How much in part will depend on what you play, *GB is generally enough for most all games with a discrete GPU, but using an APU, your iGPU in the APU will prob take a GB or two of your DRAM, the OS eats up more and so do start up programs

Thineswar

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015
i don't think you could
your motherboard would use the lowest speed it could find, in this case 1600.
why don't you just buy 3 more of those sticks?

as for compatibility, you'd need to check with your motherboard's manufacturer.
but then again, i'm not exactly sure about APU's

gidonyou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I kind of wrote my question not clearly , but I was saying I accidently bought four 2 GB Ram for my M/B. So what should I do? Remove all of my old ram and put brand new ram ?

Thineswar

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015

either use only new ram or only old ram
i wouldn't mix them up if i were you

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Best to get all the DRAM you want/need in a single package - that way it's tested to play nice, mixing can be problematic and often is, See more (Item 2) here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html

How much in part will depend on what you play, *GB is generally enough for most all games with a discrete GPU, but using an APU, your iGPU in the APU will prob take a GB or two of your DRAM, the OS eats up more and so do start up programs

Solution