[SOLVED] Different Speeds with Eero / D-Link

Jan 2, 2021
I recently upgraded my DSL to Fusion X2 service ( Up to 60Mbps ) / 2 data line dsl.
I was provided with a new modem (Pace 5268AC). I started having all sorts of issues with buffering, images not loading on webpages etc. Contacted my ISP and they sent out an Eero system to see if that would help. (I've never had any wireless issues in this apartment before like this. Most of the devices are no more than 20' from the router).
So I set up the Eero and it has definitely helped, however I have no desire to buy one of my own or rent theirs for $12/mo.
I had a D-Link 655 and set that up and have them both connected to the Pace. I tested the speed on both and the D-Link is much slower, any idea why? I am hitting nowhere near the max for that router and my line is fully capable for 2x the speed as shown by the Eero.
Update - Just connected an Airport Express and its faster but still slower than the Eero, except its ping is faster and the upload is faster?
Is there a way to get either the Airport or the D-Link to match the Eero speeds?

D-Link - DL - 13.24 mbps / UL 7.89 mbps (ping 21ms)
Eero - DL - 24.65 mbps / UL 7.89 mbps (ping 22ms)
Airport - DL - 15.44 mbps / UL 8.43mbps (ping 25)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
This is very strange. That pace device should actually be the fastest. It can support the very fastest 802.11ac end devices.

The dlink poor performance is not unexpected it is a very old 802.11n device. It is so old that it is not even running the officially released version of 802.11n...it is one of those crappy "draft" things.

I will assume that you get the full 60mbps plugged directly into the router with a ethernet cable.

You should not need a second radio source especially when you are close to the router. My guess is that either your end devices are very old and do not support 802.11ac or you have for some reason not been connecting to the 5g radio. Most people see close to 300mbps using 802.11ac. Even if the pace...
This is very strange. That pace device should actually be the fastest. It can support the very fastest 802.11ac end devices.

The dlink poor performance is not unexpected it is a very old 802.11n device. It is so old that it is not even running the officially released version of 802.11n...it is one of those crappy "draft" things.

I will assume that you get the full 60mbps plugged directly into the router with a ethernet cable.

You should not need a second radio source especially when you are close to the router. My guess is that either your end devices are very old and do not support 802.11ac or you have for some reason not been connecting to the 5g radio. Most people see close to 300mbps using 802.11ac. Even if the pace router was crap (it actually uses the same radio chipset as some of the best routers) you should still see 100mbps. It all should be faster than your internet connections.

Check to see your connection rate between the router and your end device. On a pc it is in the status display. It represent the data encoding being used between the devices. It is not really a speed but it does impact the actual speed. If you are still connecting using the older 802.11n methods it could be your problem.

Why different wifi device work different is a complete mystery. It is related to how the house is built and what neighbors you have using wifi around you. The different devices may have chosen different radio channels to use but more likely there is some unkown environmental issue. 2 routers using exactly the same wifi radio chip set in exactly the same location perform different and there seems to be little explanation, Can be as simple as some tiny difference in antenna placement.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
You really need to dig into configurations and default configs. The D-Link may have a 40Mhz channel width by default, the Eero 80Mhz.
Without setting all the devices the same --- Channel, channel width, transmit power, you can't directly compare.

Jan 2, 2021

Now ever more strange, I was finally able to hook up a laptop via ethernet to test the wired speed.
Here's what I get wired, then on wifi (through the airport).

ETHERNET - Ping/25 - Down 32.96 - Up/7.83
WIFI - Ping/19 - Down/32.73 - Up/7.85

The end devices range from a 2010 imac to a 2018 Macbook air, with 2 other laptops in the middle of those 2 ages.

On the iMac using wifi, its listing my link speed at 300mbit/s.

When I go back to the Pace 5g I get this:
Ping/22 - Down/12.59 - up/8.14

Key word is "UP TO" 60mbps. DSL uses copper lines from the neighborhood cabinet to the home. These lines are thin and susceptible to interference, they don't usually have any kind of shielding either. They were originally installed for telephone service and not designed for data.

32mbps is probably what your lines are physically capable of.

As for why your wifi sucks, I don't know. Are you connecting the secondary routers as access points? Make sure you aren't connecting to the WAN port of these routers.