[SOLVED] Digital Licence linked to Microsoft Account (Transfer to one PC to another)

Sep 1, 2019
Hi,

I built my new PC and just installed Windows 10 Pro...I linked my account to it, but i am unable to activate it.

Do you know what to do? i don't have the product key and i can't recover it anymore (my old pc was dissembled).

I was told that i wouldn't have needed it as the licence is linked to my account, so after login in to it, windows would have been activated automatically.

PS: at the moment, under devices (on my microsoft account), i can see both computer...do you think i should remove the old one and then try to activate the new one?

Solution
I did the troubleshoot -> do you need to reactivate windows after replacing some hardware? (or something like that) - > but it didn't work.
What error did you get?
This is, how you do it. Your user needs administrative privileges assigned, for this to work.

https://www.howtogeek.com/444351/how-to-reactivate-windows-10-after-a-hardware-change/

xWindows-10-Activation-Troubleshoot.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.8xC4H6JaoR.png

xWindows-10-I-changed-hardware-link.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.mAKxZs4TVO.png
I was told that i wouldn't have needed it as the licence is linked to my account, so after login in to it, windows would have been activated automatically.
It doesn't happen automatically. You have to use activation troubleshooter to transfer license from old pc to new one.

Also - you can transfer license only if windows on old pc was same edition as on new one.
For example if windows on old pc was Home edition and you installed Pro on new pc, then you will not be able to transfer license.

Sep 1, 2019
It doesn't happen automatically. You have to use activation troubleshooter to transfer license from old pc to new one.

Also - you can transfer license only if windows on old pc was same edition as on new one.
For example if windows on old pc was Home edition and you installed Pro on new pc, then you will not be able to transfer license.

Thanks both..

yes, I installed the same version (Windows 10 pro 64bit) and i am pretty sure it was a retail version (no OEM)

I did the troubleshoot -> do you need to reactivate windows after replacing some hardware? (or something like that) - > but it didn't work.

I called microsoft call center, and they requested the product key or a proof of purchase (which, unfortunately, i don't have it anymore as i bought it so long ago)...it didn't matter if the licence was linked to my account -_-

I will try to remove the old device and then see if it works on my new pc...

if not, i hope to find some offer online, windows is more than 250€ on the official store!

Colif

Win 11 Master
just give it time, if you deactivate the old PC on the Account, it might free it up to attach to new one. Try tomorrow or in a few days. Activation servers aren't the fastest around.

WIn 10 runs fine without a license, I wouldn't rush out to buy a new one just yet,

Sep 1, 2019
What error did you get?
This is, how you do it. Your user needs administrative privileges assigned, for this to work.

https://www.howtogeek.com/444351/how-to-reactivate-windows-10-after-a-hardware-change/

xWindows-10-Activation-Troubleshoot.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.8xC4H6JaoR.png

xWindows-10-I-changed-hardware-link.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.mAKxZs4TVO.png

xThis-is-the-Device-Im-Using.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.DuXriEpFGF.png

yes, exactly what i did...but then (in the next window) i get the message that it is not possible activate it, try later (i can't check right now the exact message)..

as i said, I will try to remove the old pc from the device list and see if i can activate the new pc in the next few days.

TRENDING THREADS