Digital Video as the PC "standard"

G

If this has been asked before and answered, I apologize:

In the not too distant future, it appears that PC video will move from analog to digital signals. Does anyone have any reliable information on when that transition is likely to occur?

The reason: "Should I be looking at dual input monitors as opposed to analog only monitors?" Monitors where I work are not replaced on a set schedule as are PCs. When they cease to provide the needed functionality, they go. If PCs are going to be coming with digital video output in less than 6 or so years, we need to take a look at migrating from analog monitors to digital, otherwise we are going to be ordering new PCs that cannot work with the old analog monitors.

If you have links to any "White Papers or Discussion Papers" that talk about this, they would be most appreciated.

Thank You,

Arkanis

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Well, in at least 2 years everyone will want an LCD screen, I believe, because it will be superior even in contrast to the CRT then, as it's superior in brightness now. The issue of ghosting and response time will be resolved and dissappear; thereby, making CRTs truly obsolete hardware. So if you have no reason to have an analogue connection, then it will fall by the wayside in at least 3 years (if not before then). That's not to say that you couldn't find manufacturers making analogue output cards, or even CRTs, but by then, it will be the exception and not the norm, so you might have to pay a premium for inferior technology and space hogs.

IF your doing this for a company or something, I agree that you have to be more conscientious in what you commit to. I would look for models that have a DVI input because you wouldn't have to worry about the future, and you would have a better monitor to look at in the present. Besides, if you look, you can find good models with DVI that don't cost much more.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by arkanis on 03/22/02 04:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Check out my LCD buyers guide, it talks about analog and digital interface.

http://www.monitorsdirect.com/shopping_tools/research.shtml

Also you will also find my other white papers here.

If you are staying with CRT monitors, dont worry, analog will be the standard for many years to come. DVI on a CRT simply does not make sense at this time.

The limitation per the DVI standard is a 162 MHz pixel clock, That's only high enough to support 1600 x 1200 at 60 Hz or 1280 x 1024 at 85Hz (162 MHz happens to be the VESA- standard clock for that timing for CRTs).

However not all DVI implementations can support the full 162 MHz clock,

The pixel clock limits the maximum resolution and refresh rate of the monitor. DVI would work fine for the lower resolution 17 and 19 inch CRT monitors, that are only capable of 1280 x 1024 at 85Hz. The current implementation of DVI cannot support the larger 21” or higher end 19” that run 1280 x 1024 at 100Hz or 1600 x 1200 at 85Hz.

Higher speed DVI chips are in development, however to upgrade you will need to replace both the monitor and video card.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>