Dimension 5000 and 5.1 speaker system

A colleague of mine has just bought a Dimension 5000, with it he bought a
set of Dell surround sound speakers. The speakers have colour coded
connectors connecting to the PC, they actually connect the PC direct to the
amplifier/sub woofer unit, then the speakers each connect to this as well.

We connected up the PC as per the colour coding, it doesn't have a separate
sound card, so connected to the jacks that use the onboard sound. We set
the speaker system system to 5.1 in Windows XP (via Control Panel/Sounds
and Audio Settings/Advanced Audio Properties).

Problem is only getting sound out through the front left and right
speakers. Does anyone how to make 5.1 work with a Dimension 5000 and
onboard sound?

Thanks

I don't have any experience with the 5000, but have to ask the obvious
question. Are you playing something that was encoded as 5.1? Not just a
stereo based piece of music?

Tom
"Ezhik" <replytonewsgroup@nothankyou.nut> wrote in message
>A colleague of mine has just bought a Dimension 5000, with it he bought a
> set of Dell surround sound speakers. The speakers have colour coded
> connectors connecting to the PC, they actually connect the PC direct to
> the
> amplifier/sub woofer unit, then the speakers each connect to this as well.
>
> We connected up the PC as per the colour coding, it doesn't have a
> separate
> sound card, so connected to the jacks that use the onboard sound. We set
> the speaker system system to 5.1 in Windows XP (via Control Panel/Sounds
> and Audio Settings/Advanced Audio Properties).
>
> Problem is only getting sound out through the front left and right
> speakers. Does anyone how to make 5.1 work with a Dimension 5000 and
> onboard sound?
>
> Thanks

BigJim

make sure the system is enabled for the 5.1 speakers.
check under audio in the control panel.

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:16:57 GMT, Tom Scales wrote:

> I don't have any experience with the 5000, but have to ask the obvious
> question. Are you playing something that was encoded as 5.1? Not just a
> stereo based piece of music?
>
> Tom

Thanks for that, you may have hit the nail on the head! I'll get him to
play a 5.1 DVD and re-check.

Cheers