Direct Cable Connection. What are the speeds?

Palpatine

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I want to connect two pc to transfer data (avis about 650mb each). How many mins will it take with a direct cable on a comm port or a LPT port to make the transfer (650 mb)? Also is there a direct cable connection which uses the USB port?

Thanks
Palpatine

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Not sure about the speeds, but there are USB network cables you can buy. Basically it consists of a USB jumper with a small box in the middle.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Between the serial ports, you'll get right around 5k/s; possibly real close to 6. I've never hooked up the 'null cable adapter' that connects the parallel ports. I've heard it's quite a bit faster; maybe 20k/s, but I'm just guessing.

G

build a network... two 100mbs network cards for a tenner each (£!!)and an rj45 cross cable.

650mb in a few minutes...

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
or you could get a cd burner

it would be a good excuse to get one

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
100mbit network easiest way... 1gbit network probably fastest... drives wont handle faster than that...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

Palpatine

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Well i will propably go with the lan. I only need to cards and a cable? A friend told me that i needed a hub or something like that. Is this true? Or is it simple like put the cards in pci slots - connect them with a cable - run a windows connection wizards and i am done?

Thanks for your replies
Palpatine

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
it depends one how far the run

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Given that a parallel connection was being considered, don't think the run would be too far :smile:

You don't need a hub, just two cards and a crossover cable (I'm assuming it will be 10/100baseT UTP cabling).

Most people, including me, seem to agree using a hub gets a more reliable network though.

G

I don't know who most people are, but using a hub will not make it more reliable, a switch would if you were talking to multiple machines rather than to just one though.
If two machines are used a hub would make it LESS reliable !!! (increasing the points of failure)

on the other hand, if you want your mates round they can plug straight into the hub (or better still A switch!!)

silica gel, do not eat - pah! everyone knows you should add water first!

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
The 'most people' referred to various threads on this forum over the past few months.

Using a two-machine network connected with a crossover-cable can cause difficulties in Windows, with the machines not recognizing each other on the net.

Sometimes you have to boot the machines in a specific order, or even boot both then reboot one.

I don't know if this is just a Windows issue.

Whatever, the network is more reliable with a hub. Which, incidentally, is just a fairly simple and very reliable piece of solid-state electronics, as I'm sure you know.