[SOLVED] Direct X errors in games

aHumanCookiee

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
Hey guys, no matter what I do im getting Direct X error about 10 minutes into my games

I have crashed out of Battlefield 1 and Battlefield 4 and GTA V repeatedly now

GTA V crashes with ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT
Battlefield 1 and 4 crash out with something like the linked image below (but for my GPU and the latest driver) or graphics card removed or similar.

e000dd639577829f427a01c3c984d5a2.png

I have tried everything I can think of:
I used DDU multiple times
I fiddled with my display and resolution settings
I changed my input from displayport to HDMI
I reset my windows deleting all my files and programs
I have tried running both my RAM dimms on single channel (removing the other stick)
I have again DDU'd and reinstalled the Nvidia drivers without letting windows auto install first
I tried changing the language on non unicode programs
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the visual C++ files
No I have no monitoring tools enabled (afterburner always used to give me crashes)

I'm at a real loss here guys. I hope you can help

My specs are:
3700X
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon
MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2080TI
16GB (2X8) Adata XPG Spectrix 3200MHz
SPG 8200pro (C drive)
2X 3TB Toshiba P300 HDDs in RAID 0 (D drive)
Corsair HX1000i PSU

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance

Solution
Try manual search and download 471.41 game ready https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/

Use ddu to wipe drivers in safemode. Restart and disconnect internet, install driver.

Install driver as administrator (right click).

Try reinstall DX runtimes suggested above as administrator. Before you reinstall these it might be worth trying to disable user account control first.
The one thing you didn't mention is what I would have done, reinstall DirectX. A lot of games have a folder, usually redist, where the Dx files needed for the game can be installed via running the Dx exe in it.

Sometimes it's the most obvious thing.

Last edited:

aHumanCookiee

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
The one thing you didn't mention is what I would have done, reinstall DirectX. A lot of games have a folder, usually redist, where the Dx files needed for the game can be installed via running the Dx exe in it.
Yes, I have done that many many times too sadly, also, surely complete re-installation of windows and the games should sort that out if it was the issue?

Yes, I have done that many many times too sadly, also, surely complete re-installation of windows and the games should sort that out if it was the issue?
In that case, have you done SFC or malware scans to account for any files that could be corrupt?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca

aHumanCookiee

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
In that case, have you done SFC or malware scans to account for any files that could be corrupt?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca

Yes, before and after a fresh install of Windows, it's come up with errors yet fixed them but still exactly the same problem when it comes to running games annoyingly

Yes, before and after a fresh install of Windows, it's come up with errors yet fixed them but still exactly the same problem when it comes to running games annoyingly
What were the errors, do you recall? If this is something that happens repeatedly, you may have software on your PC that is causing it.

So you scanned for malware too? Maybe try something that looks for more hidden things like rootkits. I use Kaspersky TDSSKiller, it's free too. I would also make sure all Additional Options are checked via the "change parameters" tab.

aHumanCookiee

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
What were the errors, do you recall? If this is something that happens repeatedly, you may have software on your PC that is causing it.

So you scanned for malware too? Maybe try something that looks for more hidden things like rootkits. I use Kaspersky TDSSKiller, it's free too. I would also make sure all Additional Options are checked via the "change parameters" tab.
Mainly permissions errors when viewing the log, and no, my fresh windows install is very barebones, I have just put office and a couple of games on there as I wanted to make sure it wasn't a software conflict.

As for malware I use malwarebytes along with windows defender

D

Deleted member 14196

What do you mean by a fresh windows install? How did you install it? Did you format the drive and then install windows first or did you just install over what was there

aHumanCookiee

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
What do you mean by a fresh windows install? How did you install it? Did you format the drive and then install windows first or did you just install over what was there
I used the reset and clean the drive option in the settings menu, as I read that formats the drive In a similar way to going through the installation media.

I'll do it again through installation media if I really have to, but I can't see it making any difference.

Last edited:

aHumanCookiee

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
Latest update on this, This driver crashes seem less frequenct when I cap power usage at 99% on afterburner, anything more and I get a crash, This GPU has always been able to handle 100-110% on afterburner before with an increased temp ceiling to 88 degrees instead of 84 (of course it never gets past 75 degrees)

Are the october Geforce drivers just dodgy on a 2080TI for some reason? I have had this problem on both 496.49 and the previous october driver.

aHumanCookiee

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
Try manual search and download 471.41 game ready https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/

Use ddu to wipe drivers in safemode. Restart and disconnect internet, install driver.

Install driver as administrator (right click).

Try reinstall DX runtimes suggested above as administrator. Before you reinstall these it might be worth trying to disable user account control first.
Done that with 471.71 (which im sure was stable before)