[SOLVED] Directly connected PCs (w crossover cable) unidentified network issue

Dec 20, 2019
Hi all,
I'm trying to fix a connection issue between two PCs.
They were connected via a crossover cable and the system worked, prior to updating one from Win10 to Win7 (User PC).​
After this updating, they don't communicate anymore.​
I can only access to one of them that is the user PC (and unfortunately i don't have admin permissions at moment). From this PC, i can see that the NW card gives this message "unidentified network", even after deactivating and activating.​
The Win troubleshooter gives me a "unable to identify the problem" message so it is useless.​
From this User PC, the IPv4 manual configuration is:​
IPv4 address: 192.168.40.241​
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0​
def GW: blank​
DNS server: blank​
as it should be.​
I've checked the drivers and are the most recent available. I've checked if network discovery is active and it is.​
I've tried to connect them via a crossover cable and via a switch. In both cases, I have unidentified network on the user PC.​
Consequently, if i try to ping the second one, it gives me this message:​
Reply from x.x.x.x: destination host unreachable.​
How could i fix this problem? Any suggestion?​
Thank you very much for you time.​

Solution
Did you hard code the IP on the other end.

If you used say 192.168.40.200 on the other end you should be able to ping that ip address. You should also be able to mount share with this IP address. Windows tends to give lots of strange messages when it not connected to the internet. Network discovery should work but I would just use the IP address that always will work.
Did you hard code the IP on the other end.

If you used say 192.168.40.200 on the other end you should be able to ping that ip address. You should also be able to mount share with this IP address. Windows tends to give lots of strange messages when it not connected to the internet. Network discovery should work but I would just use the IP address that always will work.

Solution