Directx 11

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

As far as gameplay goes IMO the Call of Duty series has no competition... And i have played everything from Doom 1 "1996" to anything that has to do with HL, CS,SOF 1 and 2,FC 1 and 2, WoW, Wolfenstein, BF, BF2, all the need for speed series, the list goes on and on....

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
you have a point but they really need to change up the whole atmosphere from CoD4 to justify the buy. I'm ready for something different. Also i want some nice sound. I've always hated how wimpy COD guns sound. Have you heard Cod:WaW. terrible gun sounds...

WaW is garbage, it was designed to play on a DX10 platform and ended up all buggy, IMO the only CoD games that were/are worth playing is CoD1, 2, 4 and now 6..

Seems like you never started to play from the first title because it has the most awards of any FPS game to this date, but again IMO... not everyone likes FPS... im just giving you my side, of course everyone has their own favorite game...

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
lol. dont assume that

i have 2,4,5....

WaW is really buggy. I can't play it for more than 20 minutes without it crashing, so i just have to play in short spurts i guess

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
well.. i really do enjoy call of duty. The thing is... i don't like having too many similar games. However, i had cod4 for the x360 and i dont really play that. so... i might needa get MW2 just so i have a game on the pc with modern assault rifles

Well u cant compare an FPS on a console vs on a PC....i really cant play on my PS3 with the analog controller as far as FPS goes, i never got used to it, i can play Prototype and Infamous type games but as far as first person shooter's it has to be on a keyboard and mouse...

do your research people. There are plans for 6 direct x 11 games to be released by years end (dirt 2 being 1). The hardware is to be announced in 7 weeks so says ATI. Youll be able to buy them right after that say early/mid September at the earliest. My self Im looking forward to a 5870/5890 model with 2 gb of gddr5 with double the power of my current 4870 1gb. Hopefully big titles such as Modern Warfare 2 will have added dir x 11 features as well. From the way it sounds,Win 7 and dir x 11 will be alot better experience and noticable improvement over the Vista/Dir x 10 fiasco.

Please remember that that double of power is only in the computing power, not always in the gaming. If it were a equal ratio then ATI cards would be moping the floor with nVidias GPUs. Hell a 4870 1Gb would easily beat a 295 since it has near two times the SPs that are the reason for all that awesome computing power.

In a game though and all realistic thoughts I would guess hopefully a 30% better gaming performance.

Now Vista to 7 should yeild better results but the same game on a 4870 in 7 and a 5870 in 7 will not yeild as much in terms of performance gains.

DX11 itself will only help if the titles actually utilize it to the fullest, which no game currently utilizes DX10/10.1 to the fullest and probably wont either.

But still. Double the computing power does not = double the gaming performance.

Come on Jimmy keep up we just spent the last couple dozen posts explaining this "DX11 itself will only help if the titles actually utilize it to the fullest, which no game currently utilizes DX10/10.1 to the fullest and probably wont either" :)

Mactronix

rynoc

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
apparently the line is being released somewhere in 6 weeks from today, dunno what cards or what place just that

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Well... thank you for your arbitrary information without a source....

Supposedly DX11 plays well with ATIs arch, meaning that how they already have done things its to their advantage, add in the other structural additions from this gen, and the rumored performance , and Ive heard this in several places, and its only rumor, is between a 4870x2 and a 295 for the 5870 or whatever theyre going to call it, and it isnt the top card.
Doing nothing, or using the old arch, we can see up to 40% more in an optimised game, add in the arch changes, and yes, it could be actually double perf, thats best case, but not bad. Of course having up to twice the available power wont go to waste, as the devs will crank up tessellation, AO and a few other things, but this is what DX11 was for, not just to have AO done better, or bring tessellation in, but to make your gfx cards work better, on an easier SW platform for dev ease, with fewer HW fixed functions, meaning let the CS (compute shader) do the heavy lifting, being unified to do more. Its the very construct of each companies compute shader that may have an advantage here, and it appears since CS has a wider use, those 4+1 we see in ATI sees a bump from CS, where its the same, or a tad detrimental in the nV shader setup, which will have more gains in other ways, more leaning towards DP and GPGPU usage, which is good in its own way as well