Disable SMART warnings?

kchen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a VAIO laptop that mysteriously (looks around) developed bad sectors after a trip to China. Maybe the X-Ray machines nuked it? Whatever the reason, Scandisk and Format both take an excessively long time trying to mark the bad sectors (I had it going for 2 days before the power went out... aaargggh!!!), so as a quick remedy I reassigned the Extended partition to use all but the last 700MB of the drive (which is about where the errors start to occur). However, now whenever I turn the computer on, I get a warning message like "SMART failure predicted on drive IBM-xxxxx. Replace drive immediately... blahblahblah" but since this is just a backup computer I really don't want to spend money on it until the hard drive actually dies. I would, however, like to get rid of the boot-up error message. I tried checking the BIOS but there aren't even any options for enabling/disabling SMART, much less SMART error messages. I believe it's using the Phoenix AMIBIOS. If possible, I could also use a program that can mark bad sectors quickly (well, now I need a formatter too), as there was still plenty of good space left in the dead zone. Any help is appreciated...

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Check with SONY to see if they know who makes the drive in the system. Once you know you can go to the mfg.'s website and see if they have a utility to do a LLF (or just do a format X:/u) or a Drive Setup Utility.

If you don't have the option to diable SMART in the BIOS it's going to keep poping up no matter what until you replace the drive ....

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>