Question Disabled Intel VMD, now Laptop won't power on?

RoyalNexus101

Commendable
Jan 26, 2020
EDIT: Realized I accidentally posted this in general discussion, is a mod able to move this to tech support, or should I just remake?

EDIT 2: Decided to just remake the thread as I'm strapped for time. If a mod could close or delete this thread, that would be appreciated. Sorry in advance.

Hey guys, I recently bought a Acer Nitro 5 (specfiically model AN515-56-79WD) and have been in the process of trying to debloat it by installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 (it came with Windows 11 pre-installed).

However, I ran into a problem whilst trying to install it, namely the drive would not show up during installation (neither in the Window's 10 setup or diskpart). One solution was to disable Intel VMD, so I proceeded to try it, and... yeah, now the Laptop won't even power on.

I realize now that the Laptop came with an NVME drive, whereas I thought it would come with a SATA SSD instead.

Would plugging in a SATA SSD allow me to at least power the system on in order to get into bios? Surely I am not just left with a brick?

Last edited:

RoyalNexus101

Commendable
Jan 26, 2020
Hey guys, I recently bought a Acer Nitro 5 (specfiically model AN515-56-79WD) and have been in the process of trying to debloat it by installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 (it came with Windows 11 pre-installed).

However, I ran into a problem whilst trying to install it, namely the drive would not show up during installation (neither in the Window's 10 setup or diskpart). One solution was to disable Intel VMD, so I proceeded to try it, and... yeah, now the Laptop won't even power on.

I realize now that the Laptop came with an NVME drive, whereas I thought it would come with a SATA SSD instead.

Would plugging in a SATA SSD allow me to at least power the system on in order to get into bios? Surely I am not just left with a brick?

EDIT: Would removing the CMOS battery reset the Intel VMD option to enabled status, allowing me to power on the system?

Last edited: