[SOLVED] Disabling turbo boost

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
I’m using an Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha motherboard with an Intel Core i7-6700K processor.
The processor runs at a base frequency of 4GHz (4,000MHz). It’s also equipped with a Max Turbo feature that boosts speeds to 4.2GHz when required.
When idle, the CPU temperature is a cool 25 degrees C, with a core voltage of 1.264V.
I want to disable the turbo boost and set 4.2 ghz across all cores.not more than 4.2 ghz.
Can i do that without incrementing vcore voltage?
At stock setting vcore is 1.26v.
Should i increase vcore voltage after setting all core at turbo speed?
Is it necessary to test stability after this?

Solution
With an H7 cooler, which is a good replacement for stock coolers or as a stand in for cases where they don't come with a cooler like the K sku chips, but is not much good for overclocking an i7 or any 4/8 or higher core count CPU by any significant amount.

With that cooler, I would keep it at the stock behavior, and it should be fine there.

No, that CPU, and no CPU really, can run all core at the stock voltage unless you were lucky enough to get the most golden sample of all time, and probably not then. Besides which, the stock voltage is variable so really there is no such thing as "stock voltage" when we are talking about boost speeds. The only stock voltage is when the CPU is sitting at idle with no load, and even then there will...
Why would you want to do that when you will be hampering performance by eliminating the hyperthreads and then locking the CPU to a frequency that all 8 threads can already achieve with the stock configuration anyhow? Makes no sense really.

What CPU cooler do you have?

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Why would you want to do that when you will be hampering performance by eliminating the hyperthreads and then locking the CPU to a frequency that all 8 threads can already achieve with the stock configuration anyhow? Makes no sense really.

What CPU cooler do you have?

hi Darkbreeze,

I have cryorig H7 cooler.

if a processor rated at 3.6/4.9GHz, that means that all CPU cores can run at 3.6GHz simultaneously, but a few cores can individually be accelerated to 4..9GHz under load.
but it cant run all cores at 4.9 GHz under full load when turbo boost is on.
If it is overclocked to 4.9 GHz on all cores it can improve fps in gaming.
I want 4.9 GHz on all cores without vcore voltage increase to improve fps while gaming.
I know that increasing vcore voltage affect the lifespan of cpu.
that's why i dont want to overclock cpu beyond turbo frequency.
if the processor can run all core at turbo frequency under full load at stock voltage then i will be happy.
I asked this question for my future upgrade.
within three months i will upgrade my pc to
i7 9700k
its Base Frequency is just 3.6 ghz and
its turbo boost is massive 4.9 GHz
Should i overclock it to 4.9 GHz or just use turbo boost for stock performance?

I want to experiment overclocking with my current 6700k processor before i get i7 9700k

What's the connection between overclocking and hyperthreading .
I couldn't understand your statement
" eliminating the hyperthreads and then locking the CPU to a frequency that all 8 threads can already achieve with the stock configuration"

How a cpu with stock settings achieve the perfomance of a overclocked cpu?

Last edited:
With an H7 cooler, which is a good replacement for stock coolers or as a stand in for cases where they don't come with a cooler like the K sku chips, but is not much good for overclocking an i7 or any 4/8 or higher core count CPU by any significant amount.

With that cooler, I would keep it at the stock behavior, and it should be fine there.

No, that CPU, and no CPU really, can run all core at the stock voltage unless you were lucky enough to get the most golden sample of all time, and probably not then. Besides which, the stock voltage is variable so really there is no such thing as "stock voltage" when we are talking about boost speeds. The only stock voltage is when the CPU is sitting at idle with no load, and even then there will likely be some fluctuations.

You are right, you did say turbo boost, not hyperthreading. My bad. Yes, unless you get a much better CPU cooler, I would simply leave the boost behavior alone, at the stock settings. There is really nothing to be gained from reducing the boost speed. The all core speed behavior is already highly optimized to ensure the best possible performance for the CPU without good aftermarket cooling and extensive stability testing, which can be done, obviously, but with that cooler, you're just looking for trouble and to waste your own time because it's not going to afford you much headroom to improve performance over the stock behavior.

Solution
In fact, if you disable turbo boost, you disable the ability to overclock using the multiplier on these Intel platforms. Setting that figure is HOW you overclock on the Skylake, Kaby, Coffee and Coffee refresh platforms. So in reality what you are actually doing is changing the all core boost behavior and setting a different maximum boost clock speed, to whatever you end up with.

TRENDING THREADS