Question Disappointed PC performance in Counterstrike 2 ?

Apr 28, 2024
Hello.

I have some serious problems with my pc and it is so annoying.

My setup is like 5 years old.

My specs:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Core i9 9900K 3.6GHz LGA1151 Socket (clocked to 4.7ghz)
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 VENTUS V2 8GB GDDR6
ASUS PRIME Z390-P Bundkort - Intel Z390 - Intel LGA1151 socket - DDR4 RAM - ATX
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 32GB*

CORSAIR Hydro Series H150i PRO Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair RM750x 750W PSU

Corsair Obsidian 750D - Kabinet - Full tower

ASUS 25" Skærm ROG Swift PG259QN 360Hz IPS - black
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specs image

My main game is counterstrike 2

I can see that ingame my gpu runs around 1800mhz but suddenly its get hot (like 87 degrees) and then the clock frequency go down to 1500mhz.

That causing me to go from 250-300 fps to like 100-150 fps.

I have cleaned my fans / AIO radiator and gpu fan from dust but it is still the same?

My case airflow is like the image below and I have checked all the fans is placed correctly in terms of intake / exaust.

Airflow in case

Im so confused because i dont understand what is wrong.

Do you guys have any input / ideas what I can do?

Let me know if you need more input and if I miss something :grinning:

Last edited:
Solution
Hello guys

A quick update and I think my problem is solved now.

The thermal paste on the GPU die was almost gone and needed a repaste.

I did a repase on my GPU and luckly the thermal pads as so fine even after 6 years so I ended up with only change the termal pase and now i got temp like 70-80 (after what game i load) on full speed (even OCed now) and NO thermal throttling YAY :)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I can see that ingame my gpu runs around 1800mhz but suddenly its get hot (like 87 degrees) and then the clock frequency go down to 1500mhz.
Might want to read through this;

Make and model of your case? Perhaps take the front panel off and see if the temps drop, if they do, then your case is the issue.

Apr 28, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to read through this;

Make and model of your case? Perhaps take the front panel off and see if the temps drop, if they do, then your case is the issue.
Thanks I will do that.

I have added my case in my spec (y)

Corsair Obsidian 750D - Kabinet - Full tower

Apr 28, 2024
you mean "Kabinet" as in, not the Airflow version of this series?

the original 750D had very limited airflow by the solid front panel and was known for extra warm components in high performance builds.

as @Lutfij suggested,
see if you can pop that solid front-bottom panel off and the issues goes away.
Ohh now i understand.

My frontpanel is off and have been it for a long time now.

But i still have the side on so the case is closed? Maybe try for remove that or is it a bad idea?

One thing I might try is changeing the thermal paste and thermal pads on the GPU because as i mentioned its like 5 years old. Do you think that could be the problem?

Is there some product to tell me the temp inside the case?

Can i use a "normal" temp meter being placed inside the case just to se how hot there is in there?
there are sensors built into sections of your motherboard, CPU, GPU, etc that will tell you live temperatures.

but there are many types of 3rd party temperature readers that can be used.
it is mounted in the top as exhaust.
with the front panel off and the top set as exhaust there should be plenty of flowing air throughout the system.

but, if it is still being stifled by recycled air getting too warm;
you could adjust the fan RPMs higher
or take off the side panel
or just try a better case.

Apr 28, 2024
there are sensors built into sections of your motherboard, CPU, GPU, etc that will tell you live temperatures.

but there are many types of 3rd party temperature readers that can be used.

with the front panel off and the top set as exhaust there should be plenty of flowing air throughout the system.

but, if it is still being stifled by recycled air getting too warm;
you could adjust the fan RPMs higher
or take off the side panel
or just try a better case.

And you are sure that i cant be my GPU there need new thermal paste and thermal pads its 5 years old?

I dont think the pads and thermal will last forever or should it be fine after all those years?

I dont think the pads and thermal will last forever or should it be fine after all those years?
with dried out or evaporated thermal pads it wouldn't normally just all of a sudden peak at 87°.
the temperature would always be higher than expected and it would start to climb like that as soon as it started processing.

you can always replace them whenever you like,
but many end up with an even worse situation because they can't replicate the same quality of thermal protection as the card started with.
you are sure that i cant be my GPU needing new thermal paste and thermal pads its 5 years old?
my secondary system has a GTX 1080 Ti that has been used for gaming throughout it's life and it still functions with nice temperatures while even older than yours.

Reactions: 35below0
Apr 28, 2024
with dried out or evaporated thermal pads it wouldn't normally just all of a sudden peak at 87°.
the temperature would always be higher than expected and it would start to climb like that as soon as it started processing.

you can always replace them whenever you like,
but many end up with an even worse situation because they can't replicate the same quality of thermal protection as the card started with.

my secondary system has a GTX 1080 Ti that has been used for gaming throughout it's life and it still functions with nice temperatures while even older than yours.
Okay im just gone blank on solutions.

What about the PSU its okay for my setup?

It cant be because the GPU not get enough power from the PSU?

Is there a way to check that?

Apr 28, 2024
Hello guys

A quick update and I think my problem is solved now.

The thermal paste on the GPU die was almost gone and needed a repaste.

I did a repase on my GPU and luckly the thermal pads as so fine even after 6 years so I ended up with only change the termal pase and now i got temp like 70-80 (after what game i load) on full speed (even OCed now) and NO thermal throttling YAY :)

Solution