Question Disc drive has become noisy

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
A week ago I shut my laptop off and I realised I'd left a DVD-RW in the disc drive. I turned it back on and removed it a few minutes later. Last night I put the same DVD-RW in the drive which I hadn't used for a week, and it s now making a much louder noise than normal, a clicking grinding sort of noise. I tested it to see if it was still working by burning a few small files onto the disc. It's done this okay but it was so noisy. Have I damaged the drive? Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make, model and SKU of your laptop? In fact, you can skip that if you tell me what the make and model of your optical drive is. Pretty much all optical drives meant for the laptop would have a central hub/puck that the disc would need to latch onto before you can push the disc drive's tray in. If the disc was on said latch then no, the disc didn't' cause any damage to your drive. That's my mindset/thought process.

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Thanks for the reply. The laptop is a Lenovo ideapad 100. Leaving the disc in while it shut down has caused the drive to become very noisy, so I wasn't sure if it's damaged in some way. It's a loud sort of clattering grinding sound but I can't see any damage to the disc after I've removed it. Will the noise settle down eventually? Maybe I should leave it a while before using it again?

KingLoki

Proper
Jul 10, 2024
Have you thought of cleaning out the inside of the drive just incase of any dust/debris has got in. Compressed air blower by actual compressor unit or canned compressed air would be worth a try. Just in case. Otherwise a new drive might be needed due to unknown damage to the motor.

TRENDING THREADS