Question Disconnecting Qualcomm QCA9565 -out of ideas

May 17, 2024
Seek idea for weird wireless drop. I have a Dell Desktop Inspiron 3670- using the Qualcomm wireless .

When opening a new tab or new browser for instance, it will disconnect. It will also disconnect randomly every 30 minutes to an hour.
This on the only issue. The speed is otherwise good and the signal strength seems to be solid

When repairing, the troubleshooter often says 'preferred network not set' and ' cable not connected'? and then repairs it and its fine again for an hour or so. Weird.

Have done all the usual recs: New/different drivers (have tried several, no change). Complete uninstall, Reset of network, flushing, etc. tried different channels on router, etc.- you name it I tried it.

The router in fairly new and has no issues to other computers, and this PC is maybe all of 12 yards from the router. I have faced it different directions thinking some sort of interference, but again no change.

Out of ideas as to what else could cause this.

The other strange thing here is:
My PC will NOT connect with any of my (outboard) USB wireless antennas using the 802.11n wireless LAN. (I have several antennas to try).

No matter how I go about it the PC will ONLY use the Qualcomm, and if I try to connect with the 802.11n it just gives the 'Cant connect to this network' stuff.
It seems like in the past I could use one of the other with pretty equal results.
Why wont my network see any of my USB antennas?

Not life or death stuff, but I'm sure scratching my head and would love any new ideas! Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include make and model information for modem, router, or modem/router if combined.

On your PC run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results here.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
What do you mean USB wireless "antennas"? Antenna is just a piece of copper, no electronics components.

Do you mean wifi adapters? and what do you mean you can not see antennas?

A PC with wifi (USB or PCIE/M.2 ) adapters can only see routers which broadcast their SSIDs, not any "antennas".

May 17, 2024
What do you mean USB wireless "antennas"? Antenna is just a piece of copper, no electronics components.

Do you mean wifi adapters? and what do you mean you can not see antennas?

A PC with wifi (USB or PCIE/M.2 ) adapters can only see routers which broadcast their SSIDs, not any "antennas".
Apologies for wrong wording. Yes , I am referring to WiFI adapters. And by 'not seeing' I should have said that the adapter simply will not connect, regardless of the settings.

May 17, 2024
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include make and model information for modem, router, or modem/router if combined.

On your PC run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results here.
EDIT- SPECS:

Device name DESKTOP-ML7568
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
360gb free on 1 TB HD.

ROUTER: TP-Link AX1800 WiFi6

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19045.4291]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

-----------------------------------------------
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-ML7
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 8C-EC-4B-A0-C8-77
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 15:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #7
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 12-2B-F9-E6-D1-D7

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 16:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #8
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 22-2B-F9-E6-D1-D7

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm QCA9565 802.11b/g/n Wireless Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 80-2B-F9-E6-D1-D7
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.228(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 17, 2024 4:48:28 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 17, 2024 9:08:34 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
You have a wifi 6 router but uses a very old wifi 4 802.11n adapter in today's standard.

a chipset probably released 12 years ago? https://www.atherosdrivers.com/atheros-wireless-drivers-QCA9565-windows7-64bit.html

Time to upgrade to at least a wifi 5 (802.11ac) adapter. A wifi 6 or 6E adapter will be even better.

For example
https://www.amazon.com/EDUP-Bluetooth-Ac1300Mbps-Wireless-Networking/dp/B08519ST43

==

By the way, personally I have very bad experience with any Qualcomm Atheros wifi adapters.

Last edited:

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Appreciate that. However this is on a system that worked normally for a year before this started happening. (One of the) drivers I am using is the driver recommended by Dell for this model.
Not sure whether that ran under Win10 or not, but this driver version was released in 2019 to support Win10-11 64 bit. 10.0.3.462. Are you running this one? Make sure it is only sourced from Dell because their driver update program (DUP) contains the code to enable the 32 bit driver to run in 64bit mode. Is your router firmware up to date?

Last edited:
May 17, 2024
You have a wifi 6 router but uses a very old wifi 4 802.11n adapter in today's standard.

a chipset probably released 12 years ago? https://www.atherosdrivers.com/atheros-wireless-drivers-QCA9565-windows7-64bit.html

Time to upgrade to at least a wifi 5 (802.11ac) adapter. A wifi 6 or 6E adapter will be even better.

For example
https://www.amazon.com/EDUP-Bluetooth-Ac1300Mbps-Wireless-Networking/dp/B08519ST43

==

By the way, personally I have very bad experience with any Qualcomm Atheros wifi adapters.
Thanks for that info!