[SOLVED] DISK BOOT FAILURE after new mobo, changing boot order doesn't help.

Jan 12, 2019
So I've just tried to change my motherboard byt after I did so I wan unable to boot to Windows. It would POST fine, everything was recognised in BIOS but exiting BIOS and trying to boot Windows I just get a very short blink of the blue screen during windows loading and it restarts. After restart windows goes to recovery mode, tries to fix itself but fails and the whole thing starts over.

I tried solution posted here as it seems to exactly fit my problem but nothing changed. I actually have 2 HDDs so then I unplugged the one without the OS (thus leaving the OS drive as only device - no other HDDs, SSDs, CDs, Floppy, USBs nothing) and then DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER showed up. I tried changing boot order (as seems to be a go to solution to this problem listed all over the internet) but I didn't do anything (why would it, there was only one device to boot from anyway). Note that reverting to old mobo fixes all the problems - all devices work fine, all data is present seemingly no corruption anywhere. But I really need to upgrade and can't stay on the old board.

Just in case my CPU is Pentium E5400, old (working) mobo is ASRock 4Core1600-GLAN, new mobo is Gigabyte ga-p43-es3g, the disk in question is IDE, I'm running Win 7

Solution
When Windows is installed on a harddisk, drivers that are specific for the chipset are installed. When you then put that harddrive on another motherboard (with another chipset) it is quite common that you get a blue screen. What you need to do is reinstall Windows with the proper drivers. The linked article is trying to end run around this and load the new drivers to the existing Windows installation. Yes, it sometimes works. In your case it seems it hasn't.

You can try this, but it's another end run.

What I would do is get a fresh harddrive (or SSD ... prices are way down) and install windows 7 on that. Then I would migrate all your data from the old hard drives to the new. I know it's a pain, but it's how Windows was...
When Windows is installed on a harddisk, drivers that are specific for the chipset are installed. When you then put that harddrive on another motherboard (with another chipset) it is quite common that you get a blue screen. What you need to do is reinstall Windows with the proper drivers. The linked article is trying to end run around this and load the new drivers to the existing Windows installation. Yes, it sometimes works. In your case it seems it hasn't.

You can try this, but it's another end run.

What I would do is get a fresh harddrive (or SSD ... prices are way down) and install windows 7 on that. Then I would migrate all your data from the old hard drives to the new. I know it's a pain, but it's how Windows was designed.

If you can get the system to boot, then you can do a repair install (which leaves your data in place).

Solution