[SOLVED] Disk making noises all the time

0Artur0

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I have a mechanical disk and lately, I noticed that it's constantly making a noise like it's reading/writing something. The problem is it's really not doing anything (that I was able to find). It's a secondary mechanical disk, not system disk and all there is on it are user files (documents, videos, pictures, etc).

As I said it sounds like it's reading or writing something - it's quiet for about 5 seconds and then it makes noise for about 20 seconds and that it repeats this all the time. I recorded the audio (it was recorded very close to the actual disk so it's a bit louder than it actually is: https://clyp.it/2yolcyxm

I did a chkdsk, scandisk and all that and Windows 10 didn't find any errors at all. The sound is there even in safe mode. What can it be? Do you think the issue can be solved?

Last edited by a moderator:

0Artur0

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Not an issue.
You can monitor, what process causes disk activity with Resource Monitor. Open disk tab and inspect disk activity section.

If you're worried about health of the drive, then check it. Use HDtune health. Post screenshot.

The resource monitor didn't show any activity on the disk.
I then used HDtune and found this: HDtune screenshot
So, I guess it's a mechanical fault and the disk is trash.