Disk memory overloaded. Screen turns black, but didnot die like a crashed pc would. Can works be saved?

TPBNE222

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
I was writing on windows notepad today and this is when the warning dialog popped out warns me of the disk memory is running low and needs me to close some applications, in which I failed to do so before the screen freezes. My question is that the notepad document I was working on was something I cannot afford to lose, and I want to find a way to save them while the screen is black. I didn't shut down the computer and I would like to know if the programs are still running under the black screen, and if there is a way to save them before closed. I cannot see the screen, so I would very much like to know if there is a way to save all the running applications and shut them down with one shortcut key, if there isn't a solution to that, perhaps there is a way to see the screen on another computer and proceed on it?

TPBNE222

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015

Thank you for your replay, but I am regret to say that there had been a mistake I made in the post above. I read your solution, only to find that I actually mistook 'notepad' for 'word', it was a notepad file I was writing on, and it's a new file that's never been saved. For as far as I am informed, a notepad file is not something that will auto recover from abnormal shutting down, it had happened to me quite a lot of times. I apologize for such a mistake, and I had revised it for further help.
Thank you again and I appreciate to see more answers coming regarding this thread.