[SOLVED] Disk Usage 100% then a BSOD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
Hello,

I have built this computer 5 months ago, and never had a problem since last month, which is my disk usage hitting 100% randomly for no apparent reason (I can't see any processes hogging my drive) , though I can still move my cursor around and watch task manager and resource manager for about a minute then it becomes completely unresponsive then finally, a BSOD (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and others sometimes) plus my M.2 Drive isn't detected in my BIOS but a simple turn off and on fixes it (though there are times when it just couldn't boot "select proper boot device").

The first time this ever happened is when I was playing Witcher 3, though I ruled this out as the cause since I Verified my Game Files and they all came out good. This problem also happens randomly, gaming, simple browsing and even just a few minutes on start-up, there are also times when it just doesn't happen at all, even for long periods of usage. I have also ruled out the possibility of a drive overheat because in sustained high loads, the highest it can get is about 40+°C and while gaming its about 30-32°C. I have also checked the drive's health and it turned out good in CrystalDiskInfo.

PC Specs:
CPU: RYZEN 5 3600
GPU: PALIT GTX 1660 SUPER
RAM: 2 x 8GB T-FORCE DARK Z
MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
SSD: GIGABYTE 512GB GP-GSM2NE8512GNTD
PSU: 750W MSI 80+ GOLD

Solutions I tried:
  • Reconnecting the drive
  • Clearing CMOS
  • Sfc /scannow (all good)
  • DISM/online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  • Chkdsk /f /r (all good)
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic (all good)
  • Memtest86 (Passed)
  • Disabled MSISupported
  • Uninstalled (using ddu) and Installed new Nvidia Drivers
  • Installed updates on my Chipset Drivers, Network Adapters and Windows Updates
  • Updated my BIOS
I would really appreciate any help because I will be having classes a few days from now and having this problem would be a real pain. Thanks for reading :).

Last edited:
Reactions: Foaievoginha

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you run the Gigabyte ssd toolbox on nvme and see if it can scan for health?
https://www.gigabyte.com/Solid-State-Drive/M2-PCIe-SSD-512GB/support#support-dl-utility
checking with crystaldiskinfo would help too (blue links) - https://crystalmark.info/en/

WHEA is Windows Hardware Error Architecture. I could ask someone to convert dumps but majority of time whea errors all look the same

If drive randomly doesn't show up on boot, to me, that makes me think its a bad drive and you should rma it. I have seen other people have issues with Gigabyte NVME before

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
have you run the Gigabyte ssd toolbox on nvme and see if it can scan for health?
https://www.gigabyte.com/Solid-State-Drive/M2-PCIe-SSD-512GB/support#support-dl-utility
checking with crystaldiskinfo would help too (blue links) - https://crystalmark.info/en/

WHEA is Windows Hardware Error Architecture. I could ask someone to convert dumps but majority of time whea errors all look the same

If drive randomly doesn't show up on boot, to me, that makes me think its a bad drive and you should rma it. I have seen other people have issues with Gigabyte NVME before
I actually downloaded Gigabyte's Utility tool yesterday and it told me my drive is good. I also made a mistake on my post it should be "CrystalDiskInfo" rather than "CrystalDiskMark". About RMA I'm a bit worried that they won't accept it since it says my drive health is "100% Good" in their utility. I have also been thinking about reverting my system through system restore. Thanks for the reply :).

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA errors are rarely fixed with software.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
WHEA errors are rarely fixed with software.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
I only have one minidump file available (which is one week old now) since the other ones have failed. I checked it on Event Viewer and it would say Event 161 "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation." even if I changed the dump file to kernel mode and small dump files. I also tried running this only one dump file in Windows Debugger but I couldn't understand it. I also viewed it on BlueScreenView and it says "ntoskrnl.exe" caused it, I never found a solution on this though. I've also been wondering if Formatting Windows would work on this or is just obsolete at this point? Again thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it a lot. Here is the minidump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoJgwdpTcjbjgjy49J9NhERHOYdg?e=B0l1yN let me know if it didn't work so I can send it again, thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

I will ask a friend to look at it, he will reply in about 12 hours as he should be asleep now, different time zones.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/3etwfvzg/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:080821-7171-01.dmp (Aug 8 2021 - 10:40:12)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: sihost.exe)
Uptime:7 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 52 Min(s), and 49 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX
As you stated, you already have the latest BIOS installed.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
There I was expecting a WHEA error

That is a strange thing to crash... sihost.exe. Shell integration host... had to look it up (its victim, not cause). Not sure what would cause it to crash. I can't tell what PC was doing at the time.

uninstall Internet Download Manager (its 3 years old)

try updating chipset drivers - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

I don't know how either of those could make boot drive not show in bios. Windows has no control over what bios does

its possible that windows can get corrupted if you keep getting bsod that cause it to not boot right next time, for some reason.

try this, it just scans windows to see if its okay

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021

That is a strange thing to crash... sihost.exe. Shell integration host... had to look it up (its victim, not cause). Not sure what would cause it to crash. I can't tell what PC was doing at the time.

try updating chipset drivers - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

I don't know how either of those could make boot drive not show in bios. Windows has no control over what bios does

its possible that windows can get corrupted if you keep getting bsod that cause it to not boot right next time, for some reason.

right click start button

and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC
Thanks so much for the replies Colif and Gardenman! I already deleted IDM and rebooted. I can't say for sure if it was IDM that was causing it but I can say that it is always on my system tray and never bothered to stop it since I use it quite frequently, though I never game when I'm downloading something. I also ran SFC on powershell and it actually found some corrupted files (screenshot https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoJgwdpTcjbjgj36Hl4hfQjqHguN?e=aCzaGq ) it said it has some options for an online scan but I don't know how to do it, I tried to copy and paste it but unfortunately the error happened again (no dump files too). Then I booted up again, ran SFC and now it didn't find any problems then I ran "Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth" and it turned out good. About my BIOS I think I made a small mistake when I updated mine about a week ago. I downloaded my BIOS from "Safari" browser, after I updated it that I only knew that Safari wasn't a "recommended" browser to download from according to MSI. I'm guessing I should wait for a new update before I update my BIOS again. I will also try and update my chipset; from the AMD website this time, to see if this finally does the trick. Thanks so much for the replies I really appreciate the help!

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
sfc fixed all the problems it found, that is main part.

wonder why they don't recommend safari
Thanks for the helping, I was really desperate for an answer these past weeks, posted on different forums and only got major help here. Thanks a lot for giving the time and effort to help me! I already updated my chipset drivers I really hope this will be it. I will update you if the error happens again, though I hope it won't. Thanks so much Colif and gardenman!

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
i wonder though as the nvme disappearing thing shouldn't be fixed with just software. unless you updated bios and it hasn't stopped since, as bios is only thing that would be a factor then.
I will be keeping a sure eye on a new BIOS update for sure. The weird thing is my older BIOS isn't even that outdated. The BIOS I downloaded last week (2021-05-25) was only one more version newer than my older BIOS (2020-11-30). Though I must point out my newer "BIOS Boot Logo" (the picture that shows before boot-up) is bigger than before, which looks a bit pixelated. I'm not sure if its a sign of a bad BIOS, but other than that my BIOS kinda works as it should, fan profiles and XMP seems to be working properly. I'm surely changing it when a new one comes though. I'm also currently monitoring my PC if the error reoccurs; so far so good. Thanks for the reply!

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021

right click start button

and press enter

Hello. sorry to press you again, but the error happened again (twice I was lucky the forum saved my reply). Unfortunately this time I have no dump files, though I have really interesting information. I found some warnings in Event Viewer that I think causes it, I have seen these warnings before when I check Event Viewer after BSODs in the past month, though I didn't give this information much earlier because I searched it in the internet and it says its unlikely that this is causing it. But I think this might prove useful now since most of the "Warnings" have the words "Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" which reminded me of your reply. I'll provide more screenshots of the Event Viewer but the error states this:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user DESKTOP-5PMT6T3\PC1 SID (S-1-5-21-3333863201-4047070796-978872154-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.1023_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Another one:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Windows.SecurityCenter.SecurityAppBroker
and APPID
Unavailable
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Another thing I also found out is, after a BSOD, when I run "SFC /scannow" on Windows Powershell it would detect and fix some corrupt files and after a few moments the disk would shoot up to a 100%, then after about a minute it would go down then everything is good (for a few seconds) then it ends on a BSOD. I have observed this yesterday and earlier. Yesterday when I ran SFC on Powershell without any prior/recent BSOD the scan would turned out fine no BSODs this time. It only crashes again when I run it after a BSOD.

I have captured the order of events before a "Error" and "Critical" events happen. And also more information about these "Warnings" I only captured two since the others are just the same but if you want it I can provide them. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoJgwdpTcjbjgkT3J8EYwOhZ-kW9?e=08JRUv

I hope this would narrow things down in solving the problem. Sorry I didn't provide this much earlier for I didn't know this could be useful. And I am also very sorry for the bother. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Almost every PC on earth gets DCOM errors, they are Microsoft Database errors

Not getting dumps is a problem. I feel we need to try installing windows on another drive and see if it still causes errors, as right now it could all be the drive causing it. Since it disappears randomly I wouldn't really trust it.

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
Almost every PC on earth gets DCOM errors, they are Microsoft Database errors

Not getting dumps is a problem. I feel we need to try installing windows on another drive and see if it still causes errors, as right now it could all be the drive causing it. Since it disappears randomly I wouldn't really trust it.
The problem is I don't have any extra drives anymore, sorry. I have been thinking of formatting windows and if it doesn't work I could try to RMA it.What do you suggest I should do at this point?

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA errors aren't solved by reinstalling windows. they just come back.

You can't really rma without proof.

any fix will cost cash, i would probably take PC to a repair store and see if they can find problem. I would suggest they install win 10 on another drive and test PC and see if you can replicate the vanishing drive thing, or any of the errors.

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
WHEA errors aren't solved by reinstalling windows. they just come back.

You can't really rma without proof.

any fix will cost cash, i would probably take PC to a repair store and see if they can find problem. I would suggest they install win 10 on another drive and test PC and see if you can replicate the vanishing drive thing, or any of the errors.
Sorry for the late reply. I got sick last week and was unable to monitor my PC. I am now currently looking for shops that will actually try and fix my PC. The first one I visited only recommend that I format my drive and didn't even try to find the problem. I would like to ask permission if I can show this thread to the shop so they can have an idea on what might be causing it. Again I am very thankful for the help and time you gave me, hopefully it will be fixed now.

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
UPDATE: I finally visited a shop but unfortunately, they said they can't "fix" a WHEA Error and that the best they can do is just a format. They recommended that I just RMA it. The problem is I didn't get them to test another boot drive for the system to rule out any other causes. Though I am very confident that its my disk that's causing problems I still can't rule out a faulty motherboard or any other part of the system. I just tested my drive in a "Self Test" in the BIOS and it turned out good; this kinda made me doubt that its actually my disk that's causing it. I am currently monitoring my PC for the error to appear when Windows is still running, because there has been instances when the disk usage goes down from a 100% then it shows an error (which I haven't yet captured) but I can clearly remember the words "Memory Corruption" on it. I believe this will be the last bit of information that will conclude the problem. When I find enough information that points to my SSD I will try to RMA, hopefully its going to go smoothly. I will send the error here in the hopes that you guys will be able to interpret it. For now its about waiting for it to happen. Thanks again for the help and time given, I really appreciate it.

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
Error Update: I got a unusual error (its not the error I'm waiting for but its still interesting), I haven't seen this one before "Event 14 nvlddmkm" https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoJgwdpTcjbjgkUrRh5xDpN3739h?e=Cx8ib1 . I did some research and found out its about Nvidia drivers, though I am a bit reluctant that updating my drivers would fix my main problem (100% disk usage) since I already tried this before, still, its worth a shot. [UPDATE] It didn't work lol.

Last edited:

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
Weird Update for you guys. I was just monitoring my PC as usual got a lot of BSODs and about 2 Automatic Repairs today. The first one failed but the second one actually "worked". This is the only instance that I saw Automatic Repair scanned my drive and actually boot to windows without going to advanced options. I got curios and looked for the "SrtTrail" log file and found something interesting. I saw a failed repair:

Repair action:
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x32

above it, it says "Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem." the txt file: https://1drv.ms/t/s!AoJgwdpTcjbjgkiRY1g4uECWez0x?e=KV4m2t . I researched on it and saw some posts recommending that I should use the Windows Media Creation tool to try and repair it using the command "bootrec /RebuildBcd". Coincidentally I actually tried to do that earlier today, but to no avail (haven't tried "FixMBR" and "FixBoot"). I was actually going to format my PC today and reinstall Windows to rule out that the system is causing the BSOD. I then ran SFC /scannow (on cmd) after the automatic repair to see if there are really corrupted files and it actually found and fixed some; this is the first time I ever got corrupted files from running SFC daily for 2 months. I then saved the CBS log file though I don't really know how to interpret it, I was hoping if you guys can understand it, to know what it actually fixed. CBS file and the CMD image: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoJgwdpTcjbjgko_lx4ahvE-h8Sg?e=gfOc0J.

Unfortunately the error appeared again while I was writing this reply lol. I will try and format my PC tomorrow to see if the problem persists since I think I can't rule out the possibility Windows is causing it. Though I assure you that I am ready to RMA my drive in the case that this isn't still resolved. I am just very curious on what Windows "Failed" to fix and if its possible to fix the problem without having to Format and RMA. Thanks for the support and continued help, hopefully this would be resolved soon.

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
UPDATE: I finally sent my drive for Warranty to my seller 2 weeks ago and yesterday they confirmed that they received the drive and the warranty was "valid". Though I am not 100% sure what will happen next, either they will give me a new drive or they will have to send it to Gigabyte first. Though I remember my drive had a "1 year local supplier warranty" when I bought it online, so this might be it. For the meantime, I have been using linux running from a usb and it is very convenient, with this I can still use my PC, but only run basic apps, eitherway it was very helpful especially in schoolwork. A thing that worries me though is that I was not able to completely "wipe" my drive before sending it back, and when I mean wipe I mean no OS at all. I was able to Format it completely, but I couldn't remove windows. I searched for ways to completely "wipe" my drive but couldn't find anything. I did use the BIOS "Secure Erase+" which still didn't remove the OS. I was kinda worried about this since Gigabyte wanted "Deletion of all data". But for now I'm just gonna have to wait how this turns out and hopefully this will be the solution. Again, thanks for the help and recommendations given to me, I really appreciate it.

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
UPDATE: Very BAD news for you guys, the seller "tested" my drive and came to the conclusion it was fine so they didn't replace it (plus I tried to appeal my concern but they already shipped it at the time I saw their update). According to them they tested the drive for 5 hours, ran SSD tools, checked for bad sectors (Pictures for their report: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoJgwdpTcjbjgk8mMb97sP3KxA6b?e=bxJ9A8 ). The main concern I had when I got this news is that the testing time was too short to get the error I had been experiencing, which was super random and unpredictable. My question is, is this how testing of a RMA'ed product works? or does it usually take up more time? I am continuously having doubts on the hasty testing they did. This also makes me think that I am back in square one. What if it wasn't my drive that was causing the errors? I am starting to look into my MOBO, CPU, and GPU to be the cause but I have no idea how to test these parts. I also considered the RAM to be the culprit but I already ran Memtest. I also think that it could've been a software problem but I already reinstalled Windows twice, plus I used "secure erase+" on my drive before I sent it back (is it possible that this "fixed" it?). Or is it just overall the seller's fault for not testing the drive thoroughly? I really need your advice and help again on this matter. I am really confused and stuck on this matter. I just really hope this will be resolved once and for all. Thanks for all the help and attention given.

Status
Not open for further replies.