[SOLVED] Disk usage sometimes consistent on 100% when playing some games. HDD sometimes disconnects afterwards

Jan 14, 2022
I'm having a problem regarding my hard drive, whenever I run some games (e.g genshin impact, Left 4 dead 2) the disk usage for my HDD goes up to 100%, sometimes it goes up to 100 then goes down immediately afterwards and sometimes its just consistent 100 and those programs freezes. I have another SSD for my OS and important stuff and i only have games on my HDD. This only happens on certain games and it didn't happen ever on other games I played.
I suspect that it might be the sata cable as it sometimes disconnect and also I hear clicking sounds on my hard drive whenever its on 100 disk usage. Is that normal?

Here are some of the fixes I tried:
-Disabling superfetch
-Defragging
-Checking my HDD health on crystaldisk and it says its on good health
-Checking for malware/viruses
-updating windows and hardwares

Mobo: Maximus Extreme
GPU: Gtx 680
Ram:8gb
SSD: LITEONIT LCS-256M6S
HDD: ST500DM002-1BD142

Solution
run the pc spec tests on this link to see if you can run left 4 dead 2 without a problem
Left 4 Dead 2 system requirements | Can I Run Left 4 Dead 2 (systemrequirementslab.com)
I dont currently have it installed in steam folder due to shortage of space , does it have a shader optimiser , if it does then this will run your cpu at 100% whilst it is sorting itself out.
Any noise coming from a hdd could be a sign it has a problem , i would recommend you replace it with an ssd.
I'm having a problem regarding my hard drive, whenever I run some games (e.g genshin impact, Left 4 dead 2) the disk usage for my HDD goes up to 100%, sometimes it goes up to 100 then goes down immediately afterwards and sometimes its just consistent 100 and those programs freezes. I have another SSD for my OS and important stuff and i only have games on my HDD. This only happens on certain games and it didn't happen ever on other games I played.
I suspect that it might be the sata cable as it sometimes disconnect and also I hear clicking sounds on my hard drive whenever its on 100 disk usage. Is that normal?

Here are some of the fixes I tried:
-Disabling superfetch
-Defragging
-Checking my HDD health on crystaldisk and it says its on good health
-Checking for malware/viruses
-updating windows and hardwares

Mobo: Maximus Extreme
GPU: Gtx 680
Ram:8gb
SSD: LITEONIT LCS-256M6S
HDD: ST500DM002-1BD142
Reseat the sata cables....both ends...see if it makes a diff.
Try a different sata port on the mobo.
Try a different sata cable.

run the pc spec tests on this link to see if you can run left 4 dead 2 without a problem
Left 4 Dead 2 system requirements | Can I Run Left 4 Dead 2 (systemrequirementslab.com)
I dont currently have it installed in steam folder due to shortage of space , does it have a shader optimiser , if it does then this will run your cpu at 100% whilst it is sorting itself out.
Any noise coming from a hdd could be a sign it has a problem , i would recommend you replace it with an ssd.

Solution
Jan 14, 2022

I have reseated the hard drive and plugged it in another port for now just like Bob.b said but I know that my pc can run l4d2 without problems since I always check system requirements of a game whether I can run it or not. I have installed l4d2 for months now and the problems only occurred recently.

And I would like to clear that it doesn't always go at 100 disk usage all the time, sometimes it happens when I'm in the middle of a game. I would also like to add that occasionally the first time I boot up my pc for about 6-8 hours of it being turned off it will freeze on the windows logo screen so I had to force restart my pc.