Dism throwing error 1058

Metakoopa

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
In my increasingly frantic quest to repair my pc without internet and without a fresh install I have managed to gain access via some dubious means. (previously locked out in safe mode. Sticky keys has been replaced with the command line) However I now need to repair the login screen.

I have run sfc /scannow and it has given the "some corrupted files could not be repaired" error so I have taken to dism as a last resort. Unfortunately it appears to be crashing at 85. 1% every time with error 1058 which by my understanding is a service error. I can't find what service that may be however.

Any needed logs will be uploaded via imgur pictures at request. Trying to limit data usage.

Solution
Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

I would assume its cause its disabled but once again, I don't know what service it is referring to. You can read dism logs using the event viewer, it might tell you what wasn't working.

why are you avoiding a fresh install? or is that a side effect of no internet?

are you running dism in safe mode.

My guess is the image is corrupted and dism may need fresh files to use, but without a way to get the win 10 ISO you kind of stuck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

I would assume its cause its disabled but once again, I don't know what service it is referring to. You can read dism logs using the event viewer, it might tell you what wasn't working.

why are you avoiding a fresh install? or is that a side effect of no internet?

are you running dism in safe mode.

My guess is the image is corrupted and dism may need fresh files to use, but without a way to get the win 10 ISO you kind of stuck.

Solution