[SOLVED] display color settings

Math844vrte

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
hi forum, i got a new hp x24ih gaming monitor and i wonder whats the best color, contrast, and brightness for fps gaming, and minecraft

Solution
There is no best. This is going to vary depending on each individual person.
E.g. I have my monitor brightness down low because I like blacks to look 'black'. I also have bright light sensitivity.

You can start by setting everything to default and adjusting from there. If you like 'warmer' colors (more yellow) you'll want something in 3000k range. If you like cooler colors you'll want something above 8000k. Warmer colors supposedly give less eye strain, in an otherwise dark room. But, again, each person is different.

That's only partially true. For casual, gaming, movie watching experience, best is indeed can be very subjective matter when it comes to temperature adjustments, but when greys are blending into one another...
E.g. I have my monitor brightness down low because I like blacks to look 'black'. I also have bright light sensitivity.

You can start by setting everything to default and adjusting from there. If you like 'warmer' colors (more yellow) you'll want something in 3000k range. If you like cooler colors you'll want something above 8000k. Warmer colors supposedly give less eye strain, in an otherwise dark room. But, again, each person is different.

Math844vrte

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020

i like when i can see the black be more black colors and not to bright colors and i cant see the grey as much

Last edited:

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021

That's only partially true. For casual, gaming, movie watching experience, best is indeed can be very subjective matter when it comes to temperature adjustments, but when greys are blending into one another, that's a entirely different matter altogether

In professional space, there are definatelly bests when it comes to color accuracy (refresh rate and response time generally not much of a priority), and it's very common to calibrate all monitors even twice a month to make sure what is laid out on spreads is exactly what comes out in print later. If your clients design book says logo lettering calls for 17-1463, you make pretty damn sure it is, or else you may end up paying 10K binder sheets out of your pocket in the best case, or loose a client and a job at worst :p

Reactions: alceryes
Solution
That's only partially true. For casual, gaming, movie watching experience, best is indeed can be very subjective matter when it comes to temperature adjustments, but when greys are blending into one another, that's a entirely different matter altogether

In professional space, there are definatelly bests when it comes to color accuracy (refresh rate and response time generally not much of a priority), and it's very common to calibrate all monitors even twice a month to make sure what is laid out on spreads is exactly what comes out in print later. If your clients design book says logo lettering calls for 17-1463, you make pretty damn sure it is, or else you may end up paying 10K binder sheets out of your pocket in the best case, or loose a client and a job at worst :p
I agree on the calibration for accurate color representation If that's what you want, but I got the feeling that the OP was just asking 'overall' what is best. To which I reiterate that there is no 'overall' best - only what is best for them.
If you're working in printing, website, logo (etc.) acurate color representation then you've got to be exact, for sure.

You reminded me of when I was working on a logo for a client. What a pain in the ass it is to get things exactly as the client sees it, on a sheet of paper they're holding, halfway around the world. 😡:LOL:

Reactions: Bazzy 505

Math844vrte

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
I agree on the calibration for accurate color representation If that's what you want, but I got the feeling that the OP was just asking 'overall' what is best. To which I reiterate that there is no 'overall' best - only what is best for them.
If you're working in printing, website, logo (etc.) acurate color representation then you've got to be exact, for sure.

You reminded me of when I was working on a logo for a client. What a pain in the ass it is to get things exactly as the client sees it, on a sheet of paper they're holding, halfway around the world. 😡:LOL:
i just want to make the black/grey text more light up not be white