[SOLVED] Display Driver Error (GTX 1060)

Chronic7

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
Im having a problem with my Nvidia card GTX 1060, a problem which has never happened before in the past 1 year ever since I built this pc.. this happened after I bought new rams (I upgraded from single 8GB 2400 DDR4 to 2x8GB 2666 DDR4), but turns our they work correctly, as I've test each of them. But then this problem shows up, I keep getting black screen after windows 10 login, fans run at max speed (probably GPU's fan) and pc still runs, just no signal on the monitor.. funny thing is I did reinstall windows 10 3 times and it worked normally for some time, but then after I leave it for about 8-12hours and turn the PC on, the problem comes up again.. I've tried reseating ram, reseating GPU, clearing CMOS, clearing dust, uninstall and reinstall using DDU and this problem is still there. Sometimes I can only boot to safe mode with the Microsoft Driver. And today, with the same problem, I booted my pc and had hard times trying to get it working. But thank God I finally managed to boot normally and that's why I can ask this question right now, Im gonna ask before this problem comes up again. I checked in Event Viewer that I had two warnings which probably occured at the time the pc was having black screen;
"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
And then above that warning there is this warning:
"Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display driver."
What is this? How do I fix it? Is it a conflict on my driver? Im suspecting so, but I also suspect my PSU aswell.. but seeing I can boot normally this time, I doubt a bit that it's my PSU. Can anyone please help me? I need my PC to do my task.. and Im very sure, If I shutdown my pc now and try to power it tomorrow, this blackscreen no signal problem will show up again.

My specs:
Ryzen 5 1600
Asrock AB350 Gaming K4
Team Elite Plus 2X8GB 2666Mhz DDR4
Evga Dual Fan GTX 1060 6GB
HDD
DVD Rom
Coolermaster G550M Bronze Certified

Solution
With everything you have tried I agree it seems likely either a faulty GPU or possibly a PSU issue. A PSU fault can cause a wide range of issues which may or may not show up all the time. I think the only way forward is to try swapping out the PSU or GPU and see if the problem goes away, I don't see any way of doing further diagnosis without doing this. Another option is contacting EVGA and see what they suggest, not sure what they could suggest but might be worth it before spending money on parts.
With everything you have tried I agree it seems likely either a faulty GPU or possibly a PSU issue. A PSU fault can cause a wide range of issues which may or may not show up all the time. I think the only way forward is to try swapping out the PSU or GPU and see if the problem goes away, I don't see any way of doing further diagnosis without doing this. Another option is contacting EVGA and see what they suggest, not sure what they could suggest but might be worth it before spending money on parts.

Solution

Chronic7

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016

Hey thanks for your reply. I don't have any other GPU or PSU here, only the ones installed in my PC.. If there is really no way then I'll have to bring it to some PC service, or contact EVGA? I'll check my warranty card in this case. But is it also possible that the driver is causing this? I've updated BIOS to latest version btw, and all the drivers to latest.

Chronic7

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
At first I thought it's PSU problem, being unable to give sufficient power to the PC ever since I upgraded to 2x8GB, but at times when I managed to boot normally I tested it by playing some games (GTAV, Rust) and it runs normal. But then after I shutdown and left it to sleep, the next day I tried to power up it just came up with the same problem, after windows login screen went black, monitor no signal, but everything including windows is running, as I tested by plugging in and out a flashdisk then it made the windows USB popping sound

Chronic7

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016

Maybe, I haven't really tried that yet. But at some point, when I successfuly booted to normal mode two days ago, I noticed windows 10 installed an old driver, probably from 2017. I performed clean install using GeForce Experience, when the screen flashes for the first time, the problem came up, screen went black and GPU fans (probably) runs at high speed.. at that time I didn't know that windows is actually running, only the screen went black, so I restarted it and the problem persist.. now after my latest "reinstall" of windows (third time), I waited windows to install the driver again but none. So I just went to latest driver.

Chronic7

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
Hey, Im back with a news today. My computer is able to boot normally, at least this time right now. What I did yesterday was installing an Nvidia driver version before the latest (ex: if the latest ver is 2,11, i installed 2.10), then I did an update through GeForce Experience by performing Clean Installation of the latest driver. When the screen flashes it didn't went no signal (I thought it was luck), but then today I booted up my computer and turns out its running LIKE normal. My thought is, is this alright? Cause' I suspected that either the GPU or PSU was faulty, but suddenly after this driver reinstall I can boot normally. Am I forcing something to the GPU for this? I haven't tested with games that require high usage though, I think I should. Thanks for anyone who spare their time to answer this question.

Feb 14, 2019
Hey, Im back with a news today. My computer is able to boot normally, at least this time right now. What I did yesterday was installing an Nvidia driver version before the latest (ex: if the latest ver is 2,11, i installed 2.10), then I did an update through GeForce Experience by performing Clean Installation of the latest driver. When the screen flashes it didn't went no signal (I thought it was luck), but then today I booted up my computer and turns out its running LIKE normal. My thought is, is this alright? Cause' I suspected that either the GPU or PSU was faulty, but suddenly after this driver reinstall I can boot normally. Am I forcing something to the GPU for this? I haven't tested with games that require high usage though, I think I should. Thanks for anyone who spare their time to answer this question.
Hey buddy. I think I am having the exact same problem. I have ryzen 5 1600 and gtx 1060 6gb. I was experiencing random freezes even when just browsing my documents so I decided to check if there were any updates for my system. Then I think windows updated itself. After that day when I was playing a game and using google chrome my desktop went black. I could still play the game and surf chrome but the desktop was completely black. So I restarted my pc and oh boy I kept getting stuck at a black screen with spinning circles before the login screen. I couldnt even boot my system in safe mode. After very long hours I reinstalled windows to my ssd and I could finally boot up. Firstly I downloaded the latest driver for my graphics card with nvidia experience and I didnt update windows to version 1803. It worked fine that night but today when I try to boot up I kept getting blue screen with system_thread_exception_not_handled error now I could finally reach the desktop with resetting my pc while keeping my files. Did you do anything else with your nvidia driver and what version of windows are you using? Also can this be caused by my ssd I suspect it might be corrupted or damaged. Or anyone have any idea for this problems cause